Review by Psycho Penguin

"The best of the Mortal Kombat series, as well as being the pinnacle."

When you ask me what some of my favorite fighting game series of all time are, there are a few names. And the Mortal Kombat series is not very likely to show up on that list. While parts one, three through four (including UMK3) have been good, the newer variations of the game (Trilogy, Gold, Mytholgies) have been pretty terrible, and the newer Special Forces game due out for release soon doesn't seem like its going to change this trend.

There is no question as to what Mortal Kombat is my favorite, I have always enjoyed Mortal Kombat II for the Super Nintendo because the game play and fun factor seemed to be much better than those featured in the later games of the series. It is simply one of the most fun fighting games I have played on the Super Nintendo, and it came as quite a surprise to me that I enjoyed this game as much as I did. There are a couple of reasons why this game surprised me when it came to how much I liked it, but there is one main reason of why the game surprised me as much as it did.

The main reason is the simple fact that I did not like the original game much at all. In fact, I hated the original Mortal Kombat. I still consider it to be one of the worst games ever made. So, that fact alone made the fact that I enjoyed the sequel even more amazing than it already was. I just felt that this was a highly entertaining game that definitely reigns supreme in the series, as this is my favorite game in the entire Mortal Kombat series.

The basic story line to the game is not that amazing but is solid enough. Shao Khan, Shang Tsungs master, holds his own tournament. The tournament is held in the outer world he has to win the tournament so he can open the gates from earth to the outer world, so he can rein supreme. You must stop him once and for all. Like I said, it is not the most amazing story line ever, but think about it. Fighting games, Mortal Kombat games in particular, have never exactly been known for story line, so I actually felt this was a strong effort for a story line in the Mortal Kombat series.

The graphics in most Super Nintendo fighting games released around the same time period were good but most of them seemed too plain. Mortal Kombat 2's graphics looked pretty good, as apparently the developers used some kind of special rendering in the game. As a result, the backgrounds are very sharp, vivid, and colorful, and the character designs were the best yet for a fighting game. I really liked the graphics in this game and another cool aspect to them was the fact that the blood came back for this game.

Yep, Nintendo decided that too many people hated the ditching of blood featured in the original Mortal Kombat, so they brought back the blood for the second Mortal Kombat. This time you will actually see real red blood instead of the gray sweat featured in the original Mortal Kombat. Now, I do not consider blood and sweat to be huge deals, after all I have never really cared about that kind of stuff in fighting games anyways, I just felt like bringing it up.

The rest of the graphics in the game are pretty well done, as I liked the backgrounds in the game a lot. I felt they were really well done, as the look of some of them were simply awesome. I still remember the forest stage, with the evil looking trees and the total darkness, it was simply an awesome look. I cannot begin to tell you how impressed I was with the backgrounds in the game. And the character designs are just as nice. I especially liked the variety of character designs in the game, but they were not as good as they could have been. The robots definitely looked nice, however, even if they were just the same design with different colors.

Yeah, the music in the game is very good, although some of the tunes could use some reworking. I liked how some of the themes sounded dark and mysterious, while some of the other themes sounded less mysterious. It was interesting because there was definitely a nice variety of music in this game. I liked most of the themes in the game, although some of them could have been done a little bit better. I am not going to say that this game features the greatest music to ever be featured in a video game, but I liked the music well enough.

The sound effects in the game are pretty good but they are not perfect. I liked some of the voice samples in the game, well they are not voice acting samples, more like grunts every time a punch or kick connects. The punches and kicks sound realistic, more realistic than in almost any other fighting game. I liked the sound effects in the game a lot, but there were some problems with the sound effects. Especially when it came to stuff like variety, there wasn't exactly a ton of different sound effects featured. However, the sound effects that were featured were definitely solid.

The control in the game is pretty good but it is not revolutionary. It is easy enough to pull off a lot of the moves in the game, but I did have some problems pulling off some of the more advanced moves in the game. This is to be expected, however, because I have not exactly been able to pull off a lot of special moves in fighting games. I am not a fighting game master, I can assure you. But I will say it is easier to pull off moves in this game than it was in the original Mortal Kombat, much easier. Of course that is not really saying much, but overall I was impressed with the control in this game.

Mortal Kombat 2 came out at a time when I wasn't so sick of the whole Mortal Kombat series, so the game play was fresh and very well done. The game did not have a combo system in terms of showing how much damage you caused, but there were several combos you could pull off. The fatalities were better, and the blood and gore from the arcade version was featured in the game as well (unlike the censored Super Nintendo version of Mortal Kombat).

The tower mode of the original Mortal Kombat was my favorite aspect of that terrible game, so I expected there to be a tower mode in this game, as well. And of course Nintendo came through with one of the better tower modes out there. This time you have more opponents to go through in the tower mode, but this is to be expected because there are a lot more characters to choose from this time then there were in the original Mortal Kombat. This time you get more than 20, as opposed to the 6 or 7 you got in the original Mortal Kombat. So of course you are going to have to fight more guys to win the tower mode.

There is no longer a test of strength in the game, it has not been replaced by anything, either. It just sort of disappeared. I hated the one featured in the original Mortal Kombat, however, so I am definitely not disappointed with its exclusion in the game. I wish there would have been a new mode included instead, because it just seems kind of boring to go through fight after fight without doing any side events. It kind of got boring after a while, but the game is so fun anyways, I didn't really mind too much, at all.

It has the best replay value of any Mortal Kombat, that's for sure. I still play this game sometimes, even to this day. I wish I could say the same about the other games in the Mortal Kombat series but I just can't. The fact of the matter is, I did not like the other games in the series much at all, but I loved playing this game. It is just so much fun to play, and you will want to play through the game with several different characters, which also increases the replay value right off the bat.

The original Mortal Kombat was a pretty challenging game, mainly because it sucked so much, and it was hard to pull off a lot of the moves in the game. But it is a lot easier to pull off the moves in this game, which makes the challenge a lot easier to digest. It is still difficult to do certain things in the game, and some of the fights could have been easier to do, but overall I was really impressed with the challenge level of this game, because it is not that challenging, but not that easy, either. It definitely is the perfect challenge level.

In my opinion, this ishe best Mortal Kombat ever. Midway definitely fixed a lot of the flaws of the original Mortal Kombat and delivered a solid sequel that I really enjoyed. Not all of the flaws were fixed, however, and Mortal Kombat will always be Mortal Kombat, which means it will never be the perfect fighting game. However, the simple fact remains that I love playing this game, as it is one of my favorite games on the Super Nintendo. Who would have thought that after I hated the original so much? The Arcade version is fun too, but the Super Nintendo version is definitely the best out of all of them.

DMX
-The graphics in the game are of high quality.
-The music and sound effects in the game are pretty good.
-The control in the game is pretty good.
-I liked the variety of character selection a lot.
-The actual game play is fast, furious, and fun.

Bones Thugs N Harmony
-The music could have been a little better.
-Mortal Kombat will always be Mortal Kombat.
-There is not that much here that isn't seen in other fighting games.

I Run Down the Ratings... DaLadiesMan Style!
Story Line - 7.2/10
Graphics - 9.1/10
Music - 6.2/10
Sound Effects - 5.9/10
Control - 8.2/10
Game Play - 8.3/10
Replay Value - Above Average
Challenge - Above Average
Is this game worth a purchase? - Yeah, it is.
Overall - 8.1/10

The Last Line
It is far from the perfect fighting game, but it is a highly entertaining, fun game that is well worth a purchase. it's too bad it will always have the stigma of being a Mortal Kombat game, because it is so much better than the other games in the series.

And that's a Ladies Man guarantee!

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/11/00, Updated 07/16/01