Review by Psycho Penguin

"While flying through space, DaLadiesMan kills Child of Light, then writes a review"

The Super Nintendo has long been one of my favorite video game consoles, mainly because of the outstanding games that have been released on the console. From the classic Super Mario World, to games like Sonic Blastman 2 and Civilization 2, the Super Nintendo has had a lot of great games. Some of the games released for the console were updated and redone for the Nintendo 64.

An example of Nintendo taking a classic Super Nintendo game and redoing it for the Nintendo 64 is Starfox. Everyone, for the most part, has at least heard of Starfox 64. It is a really fun game, and remains one of the all time great Nintendo 64 games. But did you know that Starfox 64 is actually an update to a classic Super Nintendo game called Starfox?

Starfox is actually a classic game, and will be remembered forever. Not because it is a classic and very fun game to play, not because the game is a very innovative game, no it is classic and remembered for a far different reason than even those. It is remembered because it was the first game to ever include the Super FX Chip.

The Super FX Chip was Nintendo's answer to the special chip that Sega was using in some of their games. Starfox was actually the testing grounds for the special Super FX Chip, and if it turned out to be a successful test, then Nintendo was going to implement the chip into even more of their video games. Well, it turns out that the Super FX Chip was a success, even though only a few games released were powered by the actual chip.

Speaking of the FX Chip, the chip was used to make the game have a 3D look. Which brings me to my daily discussion on graphics. This was actually one of the better looking Super Nintendo games to ever be released at the time, in some people's opinions. What is my take on the graphics of Starfox? The graphics in the game are really good, but call me a stickler or whatnot but I have always preferred the 2D side scroller shooters. Regardless, Starfox uses the 3D polygonal look very well, and the game looks absolutely wonderful.

The backgrounds in the game are awesome, as they totally reek of awesomeness. The backgrounds are colorful and have these awesome designs to them. They are also very well varied, which is always a good thing. Another thing that I liked about the graphics in the game are the character and enemy designs, as the enemy designs in the game are great, and the charcater designs in the game are simply wonderful, although you only see them on the bottom of the screen when they are talking, at no other time will you see the character designs in the game, which is a shame, because they are really good.

Overall, the graphics in the game are simply awesome. I do wish that the game would have focused a little less on the whole polygonal look and more on the other aspects of the graphics, because some areas of the game could use a little work (I encountered a lot of slowdown during the actual game) but the graphics overall are really good, and I am a fan of the game graphically, even though I am not really a big fan of the graphical style.

The music in the game is pretty good, I have always been a fan of Nintendo's music, and especially the music featured in its Super Nintendo games, so I liked the music of this game. Granted, I am not exactly an avid listener of video game music soundtracks, but I think it is safe for me to say that this is some of the better music I have ever heard in a Super Nintendo shooter. I still like the music in Darius Twins best, but Starfox is a close second. I especially liked the boss theme, that was a really good theme.

Sound effects in the game are hit and miss, some of the sound effects in the game are top notch, while others are a little lackluster, to say the least. I do like how the bombs and explosions sound, but overall I was a little let down by the sound effects of the game. Remember the talking characters in Starfox 64? Well, the characters in this game make these little bloops and bleeps sounds which sound really funny.. for instance the frog says ''blip blip blip blip''.. it is really hilarious. I was a little disappointed overall by the sound effects in the game, however.

Overall, the music and sound effects in the game were pretty good, although I was a little disappointed with the sound effects in the game. Despite the fact I felt that the sound effects were pretty lackluster, the music more than made up for it, as I am a really big fan of the music in this game, although I do feel that it could have been a little bit better.

The game features solid control. I was kind of worried about the way the game would control, since this was the first time a game like this had ever been done. Fortunately, the game controlled quite well, and I am a fan of the control of the game. I also liked how you can change the control setup of the game at the options screen, I have always been a fan of games which allow you to change the control setup, because chances are you will always find a control setup that's right for you.

The actual game is nothing more than your basic, everyday space shooter, with a few minor differences. The first minor difference is the fact that you have to factor in things like flying through rings. Also, there is a variety of missions which always helps, I like the one mission which has you flying through this one space ship, while avoiding enemy fire from behind you and enemy fire ahead of you, that was really well done. I am a really big fan of this game. I wish that more games like this would be released, because I think this is one of the better games out there.

Overall, the game features solid control, and I especially liked how you can change the control setup at the Options Screen. That is always a good feature, and I am glad that Nintendo included this feature in this game (another game featuring this is the classic Super Metroid). The game itself is simply awesome, and one of the better shooters I have ever played on any console, period.

You will want to play this game over and over again until you got so sick of it you would want to chuck it out the window. Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say that, since I still own my copy of the game, but the game can get to be fairly addictive after a while. It never gets quite as addictive as its Nintendo 64 sequel, mainly because of the multiplayer stuff, but this is a very addictive game that deserves all of the attention it got.

This is not one of the most challenging video games ever made, but it gets the job done, as I have always been a big fan of the games that are not impossible to beat, but difficult enough to provide a player with a decent challenge. And dammit, Starfox is exactly that kind of game. It is not a terribly challenging game, but it does get the job done, and overall the challenge level of the game is a little above average, and I am perfectly comfortable with that challenge level.

Overall, this is one of my favorite Super Nintendo games ever made. It is one of the most revolutionary video games ever made, and it is a lot of fun to play, not only because of the Super FX Chip that was put inside of it, but because the game itself is innovative and very fun! I would definitely reccomend buying this game, especially if you have played (and enjoyed) Starfox 64!

Good Points
-This review is not as long and tedious as a King Broccoli review.
-The control in the game is solid, with the different control setups.
-This is one of the most innovative and fun games ever made.
-It paved the way for the Nintendo 64 update.

Not So Good Points
-The Nintendo 64 update is a lot better :)
-No two player mode, that really sucked.
-The voices are funny but not that good (simple blip and bloops)
-The graphics suffer from breakup at times.

I Run Down the Ratings.. SMcFadden Style!
Storyline - Not Available
Graphics - 8.3/10
Music and Sound Effects - 8.4/10
Gameplay and Control - 8.8/10
Replay Value - Above Average
Challenge - Above Average
Reccomended Purchase? - I reccomend it.
Overall - 8.7/10
The Last Line: Blip blip blip... blip!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 09/01/00, Updated 07/16/01