Review by Psycho Penguin

"The Adventure Island series hits the Super NES in style.."

Hudson Soft has always had some pretty good games. Also, they have come up with a few good series. Besides Bomberman, the Adventure Island series is my favorite series from Hudson Soft. While most of the games have had little innovation from one another, they are still very fun to play. The Nintendo Entertainment series was pretty good, especially the first one, which is a classic to me because it was one of the first games I played that I loved. So when I saw one day that the game had a Super Nintendo version, I made sure to pick it up. So when I played it, I realized that the game was actually much better than the Nintendo Entertainment System series. It featured better gameplay, and wondefrful music and graphics. I definetly say that this is one game that you must play. And thats a SMcFadden guarantee :)

Graphics (9.3/10): I thought the graphics in the NES games were pretty damn good, but the graphics in the Super Nintendo version is even better. Featuring the same basic design of the NES games, the graphics were more colorful and vibrant. The enemy designs were great and the backgrounds were as good as I expected. I have yet to find any major problems with the graphics.

Music/Sound (8.8/10): Again, the music in the NES games were pretty good. Unfortunately, I preferred the music in the first game a little bit more. Oh well. The sound effects are great, better than ever. Great music and good sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (8.9/10): Super Adventure Island has the same basic gameplay and control scheme as the Ninteno Entertainment System series but adds new innovations. Well, again, the basic idea is going around collecting fruit killing enemies. But this time you get a wider variety of weapons, raning from tomahawks to fireballs. You can shoot up to three boomerangs depending on how much eggs you crack. Great gameplay.

Replay Value: High
Challenge: Medium

Overall (9.1/10): The Adventure Island series enters the 16-bit world with a bang!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 03/27/00, Updated 07/16/01