Review by Psycho Penguin

"The best Castlevania before SOTN, without a doubt"

The Castlevania series has always been a classic series, and also can be argued that is Konami's best series of all (I tend to disagree, but everyone has their opinion) The first three NES games each featured outstanding gameplay and delivered fun gaming experiences. As a matter of fact, I look back and I believe that no Castlevania deserves lower than a 7 (and only Legends for the GB gets that ''honor'') Yes, the Castlevania series is a very classic series, and one of Konami's crown jewel series. So what is the best Castlevania game?? As much as I love this game, Super Castlevania 4, my vote would be for the greatest Playstation game ever, Symphony of the Night. Well enough about the series!! Enjoy my review!!

Graphics(10/10): It still amazes me, to this day, that the graphics in SV4, made in 1992, are better than the graphics in Castlevania: Dracula X, made in 1995. The backgrounds in this game are just amazing, and Richter looks very nice. The enemy designs are ceative and unique, and no two enemies are designed exactly alike.The game also takes full advantage of the special Mode 7 effects that the Super NES can utilize, and the result is some creative reversals of the screen. Great graphics.

Music/Sound(10/10): Again, more great stuff. The music in Castlevania series has always been great, and this game is no exception. Featuring the classic Castlevania tunes, as well as creepy new tunes, this game's soundtrack is only outdone in the series by the unique and very well done soundtrack of Symphony of the Night. Regardless, the tunes in this game are very great. The sound effects are great, as well. Great audio AND visuals in a Castlevania game. Great!

Gameplay/Control(10/10): If you've played any of the Castlevanias on the NES, then you'd know what to expect from the Super Nintendo version. The lack of originality is striking, but does not detract from the outstanding gameplay whatsoever. You play as Richter Belmont, I believe, and you go through lots of stages of madness to defeat the evil Count Dracula. Its a side scrolling adventure game, but also has some platform jumping action. The Mode 7 effects also add to the gameplay as well. The control is right on, and precision jumping is easy. A problem I have witht he series is that you have to push down to head down stairs, but I understand why. Great control AND gameplay.

Replay Value and Challenge(8/10): The Castlevania series has always been a big challenge (at least to me) and this game is no exception.

Overall(10/10): Great control, great graphics, outstanding gameplay, quality music, and the Castlevania name. What more could you want??

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 02/14/00, Updated 07/16/01