Review by Psycho Penguin

"I never gave this game a chance, turns out I like it!"

About a year ago, my friend bought a game for the Super Nintendo called WWF Raw. I remember first playing the game at his house and not liking it, mainly because I thought the game was too challenging. I did not like the whole idea of the grapple system used in the game. I thought it was too challenging to pull off an effective move, mainly because you had to push the buttons very fast, and the more difficult the difficulty level is, the faster you have to push the buttons. So I really did not give the game that much of a chance, until about a few weeks ago when I bought every wrestling game on Super Nintendo I didn't already own. And it turns out, once I got used to the grappling system, the game was actually (gasp) fun! Anyways, on with my review to WWF Raw for Super Nintendo.

Graphics (7.2/10)
The graphics in WWF raw are good, but not great. The main focus of the game, in my opinion, was the drawing of the wrestlers, because I think the wrestlers look very well drawn in the game. Also, the animation of the wrestlers is well down, there is no sign of any visible graphical breakup at all. The crowd looks very well done, as they don't appear to be flat. Overall, the graphics in WWF Raw for Super Nintendo are good.

Music/Sound (7.3/10)
Well, there really is no commentary in the game, but the sound effects in the game are still pretty good, in my opinion. All of the action sounds you have come to expect from the WWF are featured in the game, from the sounds of punches and kicks to the final bell ringing. Music wise, there isn't much music featured in the game, but what's there is great. Overall, good sound effects and some decent music (just not much of either)

Game Play/Control (7.2/10)
WWF raw is a lot like WWF Royal Rumble for the Super Nintendo, and of the two I prefer Royal Rumble. WWF raw features a lot of great wrestlers, ranging from Bret Hart to Doink the Clown (Doink rules!). The best part of the game, in my opinion, is the control because it is responsive. The worst part of the game is the grapple system. Why? Because you have to hold down the button and keep on pressing it over and over again. It gets very frustrating to do after a while, in my opinion. Still, once you get used to it, you'll find a fun and rewarding game. Still, at first I was biased against the game, and you might be too at first. Give it some time though, and you will probably enjoy the game, just like I now enjoy playing it. Overall, WWF Raw for Super Nintendo is a fun game!

Replay Value: Medium
Challenge: Medium

Overall (7.4/10)
I may still prefer Royal Rumble, but I am a fan of this game. It may take some time to get used to the grapple system, but once you get the hang of the basics of the game you'll find a very fun and challenging game.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 04/26/00, Updated 07/16/01