Review by Psycho Penguin

"At first I didn't like this game, now Im a big fan"

The World Wrestling Federation has really grown on me in the past year, and now is one of my favorite things to watch on television. Therefore, I have recently stocked myself with a lot of World Wrestling Federation stuff, including video games. One of these video games that I bought was a very interesting game called WWF: Royal Rumble, for Super Nintendo. At first, I did not like this game, mainly because it reminded me a lot of WWF Raw for Super Nintendo. I wasn't a big fan of this game at first, mainly because of the rather unique grapple system that the game used. I found it very difficult to grapple at first. But once I found out how to grapple effictvely, I had a great time playing the game! Now, this is one of my favorite Super Nintendo games, and I enjoy this game more than WWF Warzone. The game even has Razor Ramon's cool theme music ^_^. Anyways, on with my review to WWF Royal Rumble for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System console.

Graphics (8.3/10)
The graphics in WWF Royal Rumble are pretty good, in my opinion. The wrestlers are designed very nicely and look a lot like they used to on television (well, besides Shawn Michales, but that's a whole different story). The ring effects look very well done, as the ring is very nicely designed and looks a lot like a real ring. Also, the animation is nice and smooth, because when you throw your opponent over the ropes there is very little slowdown or graphic breakup. Overall, WWF Royal Rumble for SNES has great graphics.

Music/Sound (9.5/10)
The thing I like most about this game is that all of the wrestler's theme songs are in the game. I am a huge fan of some of their theme music, especially the theme music of Razor Ramon (gotta love it), so this was a very welcome sign for me. The rest of the music that plays during the title screen, etc. is also very well done. Sound effect wise, Royal Rumble is great. It features a lot of great sound effects during the wrestling match. Great sound effects in a great game. Overall, WWF Royal Rumble for SNES has great music and great sound effects.

Gameplay/Control (8.8/10)
WWF Royal Rumble for SNES is a lot like the other wrestling games released for both the Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis in terms of how the basic gameplay is structured. First off, WWF Royal Rumble uses a rather unique grapple system. First, yuo grapple. Then, a meter appears above your wrestler's head. Using this meter, keep on holding down the button, and your meter will slowly fill up. The filling up of the meter determines if either you or your opponent gets to do the move. Wrestler wise, Royal Rumble is loaded with such superstars as Tatanka, the Narcisst, Crush, Razor Ramon, Diesel, Undertaker, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, and more! Overall, WWF Royal Rumble for the Super Nintendo has great gameplay and great control.

Replay Value
Medium

Challenge
Medium

Overall (9.2/10)
Great game with a rather unique grapple system. Well worth a purchase.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 04/23/00, Updated 07/16/01