Review by Sour

"It's like I'm at the tables! ...By myself."

This has got to be one of the better Poker games produced for Android. I strongly suggest to try the Demo version which offers 50 Tokens to start with, and can help you get the feel of this game before you make your decision. If you decide to get the full version you can receive up to 1,000 Tokens to start off with, and once you close your game and re-open it you will still have your tokens saved so you're not starting over each time (demo doesn't offer this).

With this game, there's no easy or hard mode so you can just have fun trying to get different card variations. You can obtain everything from "Jacks or Higher" which is basically having a pair but of face cards or Aces, and the usual "Royal Flush" as the highest hand to receive. You can start off by betting just a single token to betting up to five tokens (creating 5x the payout) which can make this game seem like a real winner. But it is easy to get down in the dumps real, feeling like this game is against you by losing consecutive hands, but then you win one hand that can rekindle your spirits.

You're dealt five cards with the ability to "hold" any of them and have the ones not selected re dealt once. There's no "wilds" as some Poker's have and with that being said, don't expect games to last very long...maybe just a few seconds. The longest part will choosing the amount you want to bet.

Unfortunately there is no CPU or AI opponents to play against, or to "view" at your table so it's just you and the cards. On that same note, it's nice for the fact that you don't have other opponents so when you have a cruddy hand of only a pair of Jacks, you can still win your tokens back and not worry about competing against higher cards.

For such a basic game the developers did a great job incorporating sound into this. From the simple sound of just a coin dropping every time you raise or lower your bet, to a nice jackpot sound when you win a hand. Thankfully there is a background song to give this game some life as you play, but it's the same melody over and over which can become very annoying.

The graphics provided are pretty minimalistic in the aspect of is all you see are the faces of the cards, and a pretty basic background image. I've seen the background image change once, which might not even be a complete change I might just be thinking it did. However, once you do decide to deal your cards you can see the animation of the cards being flipped, which is the most exciting thing you'll see.

All in all, this game is great for short breaks rather than long extended game play. If you're looking for a Poker fix and need something to occupy yourself for a few minutes this is a must have. The only thing I wish for is the ability to save "high scores" for the highest Tokens you've reached or to attempt to reach. It's nice to have something to shoot for, especially if you're playing against yourself.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 06/03/10

Game Release: CF Video Poker (US, 01/19/10)