Review by Hiryuu

"A bit tough, but really fun!"

Everybody has heard of this game at one time or another. This game, although at first glance appears to be a typical side scroller, is hailed as one of the all time video game classics. So what makes this game so special? Well...it's probably the insane difficulty!

Ghosts'n Goblins looks innocent enough. You play the role of Arthur the knight, who has to rescue his woman from evil. OK, so the plot isn't the most original thing...Anyway, you find yourself as a knight who throws spears at zombies that pop out of the ground, and a myriad of other enemies. Some of the enemies have pots above them, destroy them and you may get an item worth extra points, or a new weapon. You can get a slow, lobbing torch, a quick knife, or more. If you get hit (believe me, that's not hard to do), you'll get your armor knocked off, and you'll be in your underwear. This is bad, because one more hit, and you'll be stripped down to a skeleton, which means you'll die. You can only get your armor back by getting to the end of the level and beating the boss (However, I do think that armor was hidden in two places in the game). I don't know what it is about this game, but it just seems really fun to play, despite the overwhelming difficulty.

The graphics of this game are pretty good, although definately not the best you'll encounter (especially now). Many of you are just familiar with the NES version, and I can tell you that the Arcade version's graphics are a LOT better. The sound is superb, and the main Ghosts'n Goblins theme is one of my all time favorite video game songs.

If you can find this game in an arcade, well good for you. If you're tired of constantly beating games like they were nothing, then try this game out. It's almost impossible to beat, but you'll certainly have fun trying! This game is a true classic that spawned a couple of sequels (Ghouls'n Ghosts and Super Ghouls'n Ghosts), both which were excellent games as well. However, there's only one Ghosts'n Goblins, and I reccomend you go down to the arcade and plunk a few quarters in this one. It's an oldie, but a goodie.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 08/07/01