Review by DanLozanovski

"Employment"

Robotnik is playing his dirty tricks as always, but in this game, the storyline is slightly different. This time, his principal goal is not to to conquer the world, but more to get rid of Sonic the hedgehog once and for all. One day as Sonic is out and running, Robotnik captures him and brings him to Robotnik's island, where Sonic must fight his way through various levels and eventually escape from the island. Sonic is not on his own though, as this was the first appearance of Mighty the armadillo, member to come of team Knuckles Chaotix (Sega 32X) and Ray the Squirrel who made his first (and only) appearance in the world of Sonic the hedgehog. At the start, the player could chose which player to use, and it is possible for three players to play the game at the same time.

This game was made in 1992-1993, and the graphic is very good to be back in those days. The graphic and movement is, as I mentioned above, the same as for Sonic 3D Blast, not quite as great graphic as the Genesis version, but close enough. This was certainly innovative to be back in the early 90's. Sonic, Mighty and Ray are moving smoothly and have plenty of animation frames, and you really see them spinning while they are spinning (they are not just a ball of color).

Although the game only has seven stages, the game is pretty challenging, and it gets harder the further you reach, as it should be. As you easily could get tired in your arm, it could get harder further on, but you should be able to reach pretty far on a couple of credits.

Just like Sonic the Fighters, this game is addicting. The game is unique, there is hardly anything similar to this game. And the game contains a good potion of humor, as the characters are making funny movements when standing close to the edge of a platform, or when they actually fall off (watching Mighty losing his shell made me laughing out loud, for example). This game is very enjoyable, and I dare to say that this is a game any Sonic fan would like to play again and again. I'm pretty sure that other gamers too would find the game pretty enjoyable.

It is really a pity that this game wasn't ported to any home system. It would have been very well possible to squeeze this game down into a Genesis version, which we sadly never got. But then again, Sega has committed one too many mistakes in the past

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/04/09

Game Release: Sonic the Hedgehog Arcade (JP, 09/30/93)