Review by ARevolution

""Oh I could never see you...""

Well I'll keep it simple. This is basically an arcade version of the popular dance/rythm game for the Playstation of the same name. I first played this game at Wonderpark in Milpitas, CA. There were TONS of people around it, and even MORE people that are just watching it in action. Believe, me, the cabinet of this game is sure to grab your attention. Flashing lights, loud, pumping music...the recipe for a real crowd pleaser.

The game itself plays basically the same as the PSX version, with some noticable differences. The first major difference is that there is now a foot pedal at the bottom of the cabinet that you step on to do the "down" parts of a command. The up, left, and right buttons are all where buttons normally are, and they're all big and very easy to hit.

The second difference is the lack of the 4 buttons used in the PSX version (Triangle, circle, square, and X). These are replaced by just a simple "Dance" button. You just simply hit this one button after completing the dance commands.

The other major difference is the "Jammer" (attack) button. It is placed in the upper right hand corner, durectly above the "Dance" button. To attack, you have to wait for a "JAMMER!" logo to pop up on the screen, then slam on the "Jammer" button as fast as you can. Unfortunately, this becomes extremely cheap and many people win because of this lame button. Also, I have never been able to dodge an attack, if that's even possible. In the arcade, it's whoever hits it first gets the attack, no dodging...

And finally, the last difference is the dances you can do. Unlike in the PSX version, where you have TWO command lines to choose from, this only allows ONE. You simply do the one that is assigned by the CPU, nothing else. The only time where you are able to do a separate dance are at the solos. However, even the solos are changed. For example, in the PSX version, Kitty-N's high scoring solo is just down, down, right, X. In the arcade, hitting down, down, right, and then the "Dance" button doesn't work. Interestingly enough, Shorty now has that command for her high scoring solo. I have only figured out a few chacters solos. ALL of them have been changed slightly, (only the first command of the high scoring solo). Some are ridiculously easy to do (like Shorty's and Heat's), while other's are insanely difficult (Gas-O's and Robo-Z's.). I have no clue on Kitty-N's and the others.

Now, for the scores....

Graphics: 8

Same graphics as the PSX version, only bigger and better. The letters when you "Miss" and get "Freeze", or other cmbos are better looking now. Other than that, it looks identical.

Sound: 8

I personally prefer the Japanese songs better, but on it's own merit, the songs and sounds in this game are very well done. My favorite of the AMERICAN songs is Kitty-N's, though I prefer her Japnese one much more. (Everyone here chooses Kitty-N's stage, but not her....) The sound is very loud and vibrant, and it always makes at least a few people get lost in it's awesome music.

Control: 9

Not much to say, see the arrows, hit the arrows...very simple. The foot pedal was a bad idea however. It does make it slightly more challenging though...

Mechanics: 7

This is where the game hurts. There are some very BIG gameplay flaws. For one, you can not dodge attacks. Many cheap Shorty (here at least) players just win by attacking over and over. In fact, ANYONE can win that way. Also, people with big enough hands simply play cheap and put part of the hand over the "Jammer" button and use their palm to hit the "Dance" button. When the "JAMMER!" sign pops up, they just tap it with their fingertips...really cheap and unfair. Atlus should have thought of this and added a DODGE button. Other than these GLARING flaws, the mechanics are great and very easy to get into.

Overall: 7

I love the Bust a Move (Groove) series. Great music, with great and addicting gameplay. Not the hardest game out there, perhaps the hardest part of this game will be actually getting to the front of the line to play it!

Bust a Groove Arcade Edition:

By: Atlus/Namco
Stages: 5 (You choose first stage, last stage is always Robo-Z)
Difficulty: Moderate