Review by The Manx

"Boldy going exactly where arcade sidescrollers have gone before"

I hated Bucky O'Hare. I didn't really know why, but the show just stuck in my craw. But after going out and seeing Mom and Dad Save the World with my grandmother, we stopped off at this Aladdin's Castle for something else to do and I saw this game based on that baneful bunny, but I figured, what the hey, I can just spend one token and see if this is any good. I blew my whole time on that one game and left with a much different opinion about Bucky...

You start off by deciding to play as Bucky, Jenny, Deadeye or Blinky. Firepower and agility wise, none is superior to any of the others, but each has a unique ''bomb'' move that does something different. Anyway, you start on planet Warren, then go to rescue Bucky's fellow rabbits, and soon stumble onto a bit of information that could mean the end of the toad wars. Yes, this game ends the story.

But besides starring Bucky O'Hare, there really isn't anything groundbreaking about the game. Oh sure, the gameplay is fine, the graphics crisp and recognizable, and the sound...eh, the sound could've been worse. They got the voice actors from the show to dub the character's lines in the between-level cut scenes, which wasn't a bad idea. But the game isn't anything you haven't seen in a hundred other games.

You go through a bunch of sidescrolling levels, blasting anything in sight, mainly storm toads whose level of toughness or special weapon is indicated by the color of their suit. Hmmm, wonder why that sounds familiar. Oh yeah, it was just like that in X-men, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Captain Commando. In one level you ride a special vehicle and it's pretty much the same as being on foot, except faster. Why does that sound familiar? Oh yeah, they did pretty much the same thing in levels of ninja turtles, Captain Commando and Sunset Riders. At the end of every level you face an enemy with devastating attacks and weapons. Why does that sound familiar? Oh yeah, it's because 97% of all sidescrollers ever made are like that.

This does not make Bucky O'Hare a bad game. How could it be bad if it turned my entire opinion of the character around like it did? But it's just that it's exactly like every other arcade game of the 90's that's a sidescrolling ''beat up a bunch of bad guys and then a boss in every level'' deal. Normally I'd be willing to let all that go. After all, mindless carnage is fun and we all need a diversion once in a while. But the problem with Bucky is that after I beat it I had no motivation to play it again like I had with X-men or ninja turtles or Sunset Riders. I had seen it all and that was enough for me. So it is a fun game, certainly, but just while the fun lasts, which is why it gets a 7.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 02/14/04, Updated 11/04/05