Review by GL

"Shoot, kill, reload... and pay more money!"

The House of the Dead is a somewhat old game (since House of the Dead 2 is already out) but it doesn't really show any sign of age. The plot is something about saving sceintists and some girl in a creepy house full of zombies and monsters and such (I wasn't paying attention) but what the game excels at is pure fun.

If you've never played a shooter, I'll explain the premise. Just shoot at enemies on the screen, if you hit scientists, you lose health and shoot off the screen to reload. Easier than a Dragon Punch, don't ya think? =)

The graphics for this are great, well designed monsters, proper missing body parts depending on where you shoot and the sound... basic grunts and such, nothing to write home about.

Well if you've ever played a shooter, you know they usually drain quarters pretty quickly. On a scale of 1 to 10, pretty much all bosses have a cheapo factor of 9.5 so do expect to waste most of your quarters on them.

The House of the Dead is a fun game and when the Dreamcast comes out, I'll be sure to get it. If you like shooters, you'll enjoy it. Heck, if you don't enjoy shooters, you might enjoy it! Sega at its best, not releasing consoles. =P

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 11/01/99, Updated 11/01/99