Review by Ofisil

"Too much blood spill over nothing"

Mortal Kombat is a Fighting game developed by Midway. The game became popular simply because of 2 things. #1 the enormous success of Street Fighter 2 and #2 because of even more enormous amounts of hype. Mortal Kombat might seem a bit funny nowadays but back then it was the most violent videogame of all time, fueling the fire of the parents-vs.-videogames battle. After an hour of playing the game I realized that it has absolutely NOTHING special when it comes to its gameplay, proof that hype sells and sells good!

Replay Value: 0/10

Lets make some comparisons. I don't exactly like Street Fighter 2 but I can see WHY people love it. First of all we have many characters that are completely different from each other. Slow but powerful wrestlers, fast and agile fighters, monsters that could bite or electrocute enemies, a guru that could extend his feet and arms and spit fire and many more. In Mortal Kombat we have characters that look different but in reality they aren't. All of them have the EXACT same basic moves with no real differences whatsoever. For example Sonya is supposed to be faster and Kano is supposed to be tougher but they're almost the same characters! They have only 2-3 special moves and those aren't really something great and in fact when you play against the CPU most of the time you'll get blocked. The game is quite challenging but I managed to reach the end with the use of simple kicks and punches and minimum use of special moves. Finally the controls of SF2 were great, the ones in MK are not so good since they aren't so responsive.

Design: 6.7/10
Sound: 7.7/10
Music: 6.6/10

This is the main deal with Mortal Kombat, this is the part that made the game sell and to say the truth I ain't impressed. As you may now by now, MK uses live actors instead of drawn spites like Street Fighter or KOF. In my opinion while the game certainly doesn't look bad it isn't something special either. Why? Because the characters are so boring too look at. Some of them look quite cool like the ninja duo Scorpion and Sub Zero, although it's the same sprite in different colors, (typical in the MK franchise). Raiden looks like a Chinese peasant, Kano is just a guy with a fake looking metal part on his face, Sonya is just a girl, (not even fit I must add), in boring green tights and Liu Kang along with Johnny Cage are so lame that I don't even want to describe them. From my childhood I can only remember 3 characters that all kids loved… the 2 ninjas and Goro, the only character that wasn't a live action actor. Now about the violence… for its time it was quite gory. There weren't many games where you would actually see the head of a character chopped off, am I right? However it is also a bit ridiculous. Each simple attack releases so much blood that the players get used to it so fast. Summing up, if you want very good graphics, (and a better game), you might as well skip this and play MK2. The Sound effects of the game are quite good and most of all distinctive, that's why they remained pretty much unchanged in the first games of the franchise. The voice actor of the announcer did a great job and so did the rest of the characters voice actors. The music is just good… nothing special about it.

[+]:
-Good graphics and SFX

[-]:
-All characters pretty much have the same moves
-Slightly bad controls
-Most characters look a bit lame

Also Play:
Bikini Karate Babes (PC) Just for the fun of it!!! ;)
King Of Fighters (Series)(Various Platforms)
Mortal Kombat (Series) (Various Platforms)
Soul Blade \ Soul Calibur (Series)(Various Platforms)
Street Fighter (Series)(Various Platforms)

Overall: 5.3/10

That's my humble opinion about the extremely, highly, ridiculously, incredibly, over the top hyped game called MK. Hype, hype, hype… that's all there is to it.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 10/26/10

Game Release: Mortal Kombat (US, 10/08/92)