"You will spend a good 10-15 bucks while playing this.....and you won't care"

I remember the first time I played this one. I was in a hotel in Cincinnati. The hotel, for whatever reason, had arcade games in the lobby area. So I plug a quarter into this game call Alien vs. Predator, telling myself I'm not going to spend to much. After all, a guy's gotta eat. About 40 minutes and 11 dollars later, I'm shooting up the Alien Queen on the last level. I take a glance at my watch, realize that I had been at this a long time, and then continue to beat the snot out of aliens. I didn't care the time or the cost: I just had to beat this game. After beating it, I walked away broke and satisfied. I hadn't seen this game anywhere else for years. The thought occurred to me today that I can simply download it. So I download it and play it, and after about 45 minutes, I walk away satisfied with money intact.

The story is not very plausible, but I suppose it makes about as much sense as any other alien invasion movies. It's a peaceful day here on Earth. Suddenly, vicious aliens appear out of no where, whipping out half of the North American population in a matter of hours. Soldiers and civilians are being slaughtered left and right. The government sends out two elite soldiers to deal with the problem. They are sorely out numbered, and just as the aliens are about to tear them apart, in a flash all the aliens are vaporized. The two soldiers are left standing.....and a couple predators have appeared. The soldiers get ready to shoot them up(or run for the hills), but the predators announce that ''these creatures are killing our prey.....so they are now our prey.'' The 4 of them run off to kick some alien ass. The ending was predictable, but it was good, because it was the ending I wanted.

Control: 10/10
As one would expect, the controls are very simple. Jump, hit, and shoot. Pulling off the special attack is a simple task as well. The characters walk a little slow sometimes, and I wish a dash ability was instituted to add another attack and speed it up, but this is really the game designer's fault.

The exploding and screaming aliens sound convincing enough, as do the various gun fire and explosion noises. There are some voice clip's occasionally, such as when you begin or end a level and during some of the cut scenes, but these voices are all very muffled, making it really hard to understand what they are saying.

Music: 9/10
The music is nothing special, but it is quite appropriate for this type of game. It's kind of a low-tone rock that you'd expect to be playing as people are shooting up aliens.

The graphics are quite excellent. The sprites are colorful and detailed. The alien in the little cut scene after you die looks like it comes right out of one of the Alien movies. There is a good amount of blood and alien slime in this game, and it is all grossly detailed and realistic.

Gameplay/Fun factor: 10/10
This is quite a fun beat 'em up/shooting game. There is a nearly endless army of aliens to plow through, being surrounded by as many as 15 aliens at once, so most of the time you are keeping your hands pretty full. Fortunately, they don't all attack you at once; there seems to be a default programmed in so no more then three attack at any one moment. With all these aliens standing around not attacking, this gives you a chance to plow through them when you are on super mode. There is a scoring system in this game, and you get bonuses for picking up gold and jewels and what-not. This is fairly pointless, and you'll just pick everything up out of habit and ignore the score. One really fun aspect of this game is the endless array of weapons. Knives, machine guns, lasers, knives, grenades, the list goes on. With so many options to gut aliens and traitorous with, you'll no doubt play this one for a long time.

Rent/buy/download?
If you come across it in an arcade or movie theater, by all means play it. If you don't find one, then download it and have fun.

Reviewer's Score: 10/10 | Originally Posted: 06/15/03, Updated 06/30/03