Review by Psycho Penguin

"EGM gave this a spot on the top 10 Arcade Games of all time... why?"

Yikes, why am I giving Gauntlet 2 such a low core you may be wondering. Before e-mailing me, just to let you know that the reason I am giving the game a score of five is because it is way too long and gets very boring after a while. Poor replay value kills the game, in my opinion. I did not have a very fun time playing this game at all. I liked the original Gauntlet, but its sequel just did not seem that fun to me. I remember playing this game a few years back and I was very underwhelmed by the whole experience. The extreme difficulty and tediousness of the game did not lend itself well to me, and that led to a lack of fun factor. This game really could have been a lot better.

GRAPHICS (8.3/10)
They're pretty good, but could've been a lot better. Sometimes the backgrounds are too distracting, making you miss a major item or something. The character and enemy designs are pretty well done, as each character and enemy have their own unique design to them. The backgrounds are where the game fails to deliver though. Not only does it suffer from the aforementioned distraction, it also appears way too colorful and bright in some places. Overall, decent graphics that could have been better with easier to see backgrounds.

MUSIC/SOUND (9.1/10)
I liked the music and sound effects in Gauntlet 2 for the Arcade. First off, the music is really well done as it fits in with the feel of the game. I especially like the music that plays when the enemy Death chases after you, it really adds a scary element to the whole situation. Sound effect wise, Gauntlet 2 is okay, but I have heard better sound effects in other Arcade games. Overall, the music and sound effects are well done.

CONTROL (5.1/10)
The controls are actually pretty bad as well, because it is very hard to control your character while moving around. It is a chore just to do anything in this game, especially shoot your special weapons! Overall, the control is only decent in the game.

GAMEPLAY (4.6/10)
This game is pretty boring since it was done before in the first Gauntlet. Basically, the object of the game is to find keys or something to open doors. That's it. But there are some enemies and traps lying around. This game is way too long though, and you probably won't beat it in your lifetime. Case in point: i got to level 192. Can you say, long? And to add the frustration is that I did not have a fun time playing the game at all. Basically, I spent most of the time wandering around aimlessly trying to find a key. Then I got stuck in a dead end for 20 minutes. This led to severe frustration eventually, especially after the 4th time or so of me running into a dead end. Overall, the gameplay disappointed me severly.

REPLAY VALUE (Very Low)
Once you figure out the game itself is 200-plus stages worth, you don't want to waste your time with it. Spend your quarters somewhere else.

CHALLENGE (Very High)
I dare you to beat it.

OVERALL (4.3/10)
This game just ain't all that it's cracked up to be. There is some fun to be had, but it is way too long, killing both the replay value and fun factor.

Reviewer's Score: 5/10 | Originally Posted: 05/02/00, Updated 07/16/01