Review by Oni Lukos

"It's Stompin' Time!"

Supposedly the first Battletoads game, not to mention first arcade game, with random bloodspray, it also has a mode without blood. That's what mode it was when I found it in my dentist's office. Free play, too. I figured I'd give it a shot, and what do you know? I was hooked.

The controls for this game are really easy, and really fun. Only a joystick and two buttons: Punch and Jump, that's all it needs. Just punch an enemy until it dies. Rather barbaric...but fun! Some times it gets a bit hard to control your character, but you can work through it! Even better. grab a friend and team up to bash enemies to see who the King of Carnage is! This game does end rather abruptly, when you were expecting a few more levels, you get hit in the face with the fact that was the last level. Oh well.

Plot: 5/10
Okay, this game just barely has enough plot to get through. Dark Queen being evil, beating up bosses, etc.

Difficulty: 5/10
This game is really hard get through on less than five dollars, so it's much better on free play. But, if you don't have a choice, you don't have a choice. Right before the bosses, they let you heal. A little. In fact, if there are two players, it's likely that you'll heal even less. This will be a problem when facing some of the later bosses.

As with my other reviews, I'd say the graphics are adequate. The bloodspray (fortunately) is not too realistic, but some of the cutscene pics are very detailed.

Ahhh, very good. The sound in this game is more than adequate. Among the sound effects, they also gave the toads ''catch phrases'' that they say sometimes. Although, in the ending they did slack off a bit on the graphics. I wish they had made it animated, but the didn't.

Replay-ability: 9/10
Provided you have enough money, you can replay this game at any time at all and still have fun beating up enemies. Sure you know the outcome of the game already, but as I stated already, this game does not depend on its plot.

If you find this game in your arcade, or dentist's office, free play or not, I recommend that you find a friend and play play play! And make sure not to have your parents drag you out, threatening to leave you there like they did to me.

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 12/19/03