Review by MikeHaggar

"SNK's greatest game of the eighties."

Guerilla War (aka Guevara) was released in 1987 by the SNK company. Guerilla War is my favorite SNK released game of the eighties, it's action packed from beginning to end. The tagline behind Guerilla War is 'Hail the heroes of the Revolution'. After you beat this game, you'll feel like a hero, because this is one tough game.

The idea behind Guerilla War is simple, you are a one man army who's goal is to kill as many enemy soldiers as possible, rescue your fellow men and to keep on marching until you've driven your enemies out of there stronghold. Like I said, it will not be an easy task. Sorry, but even after beating the game, I don't know very much about the actual storyline of the game.

Graphics 8/10
The graphics are very well detailed. That include both background and character art. Since this was released in 1987, don't be expecting Neo Geo powered graphics, but they are very well done.

Sound 6/10
Not a strong point. While the sound effects aren't terrible or anything, they could have been a little more livelier. I like the music in some stages, but other stages' music kind of get on my nerves after awhile.

Control 7/10
The dial controller was a bad idea. You have to move your character in all directions, while soldiers appear from any area of the screen. This leads to a lot of uncontrollable deaths. It would have been much better if SNK had just used an 8 way controller and have the enemies appear in less sneaky areas in my opinion. You do get used to it after awhile though.

Difficulty 10/10
Oh man is this game hard. Don't be surprised to die a hundred times before you reach the halfway point of the game. It has a lot to do with the control in my opinion. I'm sure there are people out there who can do great in this game, but I am not one of them.

Gameplay 9/10
Guerilla War is a war game where you advance your character to the north of the screen, killing as many enemies as possible. It's the pseudo 3D style made famous by Ikari Warriors. The majority of your enemies are lowly soldiers, but at the end of each level, there is a boss character. The boss characters are really cool, but also very tough. Most of the time you are on foot, but sometimes you can take control of a tank. Your characters main weapon is a pistol, but killing red enemies can get you a machine gun or flame thrower. The game is one of the greatest action games I have ever played. Even though it's one of the toughest games of all time, it's so action packed and so fun, I can't stop playing.

You should try and play Guerilla War. I wish I could say it was easy to find, but it's not. Your best bet is an emulator. If anybody knows where I can play on a real Guerilla War machine and lives within two hundred miles of Minnesota, give me an e-mail at MNJMAN23@aol.com

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 12/20/01, Updated 12/20/01