Review by Psycho Penguin

"Help the Master Chef escape a perilous death!"

Burgertime is one weird game. Let me get that out of my system right now. It really is a weird game because the point of the game is to make hamburgers by squahing baddies in between two hamburger buns. It really does get quite fun after a while. And the game has a certain charm to it. Just like Pac Man, this game was avilable for a whole bunch of other systems, including Colecovision and Nintendo Entertainment System (NES). It also was on the Arcade, and most of the console versions are basically just updated arcade conversions. Overall, the NES console conversion is the one I enjoy most, but Burgertime on the Atari 2600 is also a fun game! On with the review!

Graphics (8.7/10)
Yeah, the game looked like an Atari 2600 game. But the game does feature some nice graphics, such as the hamburger funs which are very nicely detailed. The backgrounds are basically just black screens, but there is a variety of colors when it comes to the enemy and character designs. The enemies may just be hot dog buns and lettuce, but it doesn't matter because the game's enemy designs are pretty good. Overall the graphics are pretty good.

Music/Sound (5.5/10)
Just like most Atari 2600 games, the only sounds you'll hear is when you jump and when you die. And those music and sounds really aren't the best sounds either.

Gameplay/Control (7.6/10)
This has got to be the coolest premise ever for a video game: you're a chef and you have to squash baddies by squashing them between two hamburger buns. For instance, lets say you're on top of a baddie, both of you are next to hamburger buns. Walk on top of the bun and it will fall down, squashing the baddie! It really is a fun and innovative idea that was executed very well! Control wise, Burgertime for the Atari 2600 is not the best Atari 2600 game, but the control is still decent. I had problems sometimes moving my character around and getting him in the right place, but it is no big deal because the control is better than some other Atari 2600 games I have played. Overall, the gameplay and control in Burgertime for the Atari 2600 may be a lot like the other versions of Burgertime (especially the Arcade game) but the game is still very fun to play!

Replay Value (Medium)
Burgertime is such a fun and innovative idea that you can't help but play it for a while after first playing it. However, the other versions of the games are more enjoyable, in my opinion, which may decrease your own personal replay value of the game. Regardless, Burgertime for any console is fun to play and has great replay value, and the Atari 2600 version is no exception!

Challenge (Somewhat High)
At first, it seems that Burgertime is not that big of a challenge. But after a while it is soon easy to realize that the game is challenging, especially in some of the later stages.

Overall (7.1/10)
Fun game, cool idea. Those four words sum up Burgertime for the Atari 2600 perfectly. The game is innovative, and is fun as heck to play! Well worth a purchase!

Reviewer's Score: 7/10 | Originally Posted: 05/08/00, Updated 07/16/01