Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of the premiere multiplayer games of all time"

Ask the average video gamer what some of the best multiplayer games of all time are and you'd get responses ranging from
Goldeneye to Super Bomberman. But in this select group of games, no one seems to mention Combat for the Atari 2600. But they should. Combat is a fast and furious single player game but the multiplayer mode is so cool. The game features pretty bland graphics but the gameplay is what makes this a true classic. Everyone that enjoys multiplayer games should definetly buy this game, and but an Atari 2600 or 7800 if you have to as well, its worth it to play such a great multiplayer game as Combat. Combat for the Atari 2600 is a decnet single player game, but that's not important, because the multiplayer mode is where it's at (actually in all honesty i have only played multiplayer Combat and have not actually tried the single player mode. In fact, I still question whether there is a single player mode in the game or not.) Anyways, on with my updated review to a classic multiplayer game, Combat for the Atari 2600.

Graphics (4.1/10)
This game, like most other Atari games, features really plain and overall bland graphics. Pretty much all you get is a plain old background and two white ships. But like every other atari game you could change the colors which is a novel idea for a video game system. Some of the colors, however, were a little too bright, and caused the game to be too distracting. I would advise to just stick with the regular graphics, because even though there is an option to change the colors, I really wouldn't because it is not fun to lose the game because the background colors were too bright. Overall, the graphics in Combat 2600 for the Atari 2600 are average for an Atari 2600 game, of course graphics really do not mean much in this game (or in any other game, for that matter)

Music/Sound (8.1/10)
No music, just some pretty good sound effects. The sound effects are your basic bleeps and bloops, but they do sound pretty good so I do not mind the lack of variety in the sound effects that much at all, because the sound effects really aren't that bad at all. Sure, a little more variety in the sound effects would have been nice, and some music added would have been an added touch to a great game, but since this is an Atari 2600 game I am perfectly fine and accept the music and sound effects in this game. Overall, the music and sound effects in Combat for the Atari 2600 are not the best I have ever heard, but for an Atari 2600 game they are pretty good.

Gameplay/Control (9.6/10)
Is there even a single player mode in this game? Basically my friend and I always play it multiplayer, which is a cool mode. It is so fun to shoot each other with spaceships!! The control is a little lacking, it is hard to control your ship,
but the game is so fun you won't notice. The control does get to be a little frustrating after a while, though. Basically, you have to move the ship in a 360 degree motion around the screen, so if you do not stick to that pattern your ship will start flying all over the screen and be suspectible to easy hits by your opponent. Regardless, Combat for the Atari 2600 is a great game, even with its lack of a solid control system. Overall, Combat for the Atari 2600 is arguably the best 2 player game ever made for the Atari 2600, which is a classic system in itself.

Replay Value (High)
This game will provide you with years of multiplayer fun.

Challenge (NA)
Depends on who you're playing against.

Overall (9.4/10)
My second fave multiplayer game of all time, as well as my second fave Atari 2600 game of all time.

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/12/00, Updated 07/16/01