Review by Retro

"An ancient golf game that should've remained extinct"

I own a few sports titles for the Atari 2600 and I can say without a doubt that Golf is the worst one by far. In Golf for the Atari 2600, you can play a one or two player game in just one course that has only nine holes.

To golf in this game is very easy. You get to control a stiff looking golfer, and all you have to do is move close to the ball, then wind up and swing at it. When you keep hold of the button on your joystick controller, the golfer's arm and club will start moving slowly to the right and over his head until his arm stops behind him, making him look like he might be so limber that he's triple jointed, if that's possible. When you let go of the button, the golfer will swing at the ball. The further you pull back before you swing, the harder your golfer will hit the ball. You can move the golfer anywhere on the screen. Depending on which way you're facing and where you are standing in relation to the golf ball, the ball will be hit in that direction.

As I mentioned, there are only nine different holes in this prehistoric golfing game. The courses all have sides to them, and there are other obstacles on the courses such as bunkers, trees, and water traps. If you ever hit the ball into one of these obstacles, you will hear one of the most terrible sounds you could ever hear from a video game cartridge. That sound should be enough to make you try and avoid these obstacles at all costs. Somewhere on the course, you will see a dark green color with the hole somewhere on it. To finish that hole, you just have to knock the golf ball into the hole or close to it. In one or two of the holes, when you knock the golf ball into the first hole, you will be taken to a screen where you have to knock it into a square hole to finish that one and go to the next.

The whole time you're golfing, you can look at the top of the screen and see what the par is for that hole, how many shots you've taken, and what hole you're currently playing.

Unfortunately, the nine holes in Golf don't have good variety at all. You won't see anything fancy such as a windmill obstacle or a waterfall. All you will see are the things I mentioned in the last paragraph, and all of them look a lot like the hole before it. That's one of the reasons Golf for the Atari 2600 isn't a good game. The other main reason I don't like it is because the game is too easy. It's easy to finish all 9 holes in less than 5 or 6 minutes of play. Also, even if you're playing the game with one of your friends, it's still not fun. Unless you absolutely have to own Golf for some odd reason, I would recommend skipping this one. It's a golf game that shouldn't have ever existed in the first place, it should've remained extinct.

GRAPHICS - Just plain terrible, even for an Atari game made in 1980. The golfer is as detailed as you should expect him to be for an early 80's game, but everything else such as the trees, courses, and so on, just look too plain and like a 2-year-old drew them for practice.

SOUND - The sound in Golf is probably the worst thing about the game if you ask me. There's not many sounds in the first place, but most of the ones that there are, sound terrible.

CONTROL - Golf's control isn't the best for an Atari game, but they're good enough. It's easy to place the golfer where you want him, but judging where the golf ball is going to go after you hit it will take some practice and guessing.

REPLAY VALUE - Of all the sports games I own for any system, Golf is the only one that I haven't played at least quite a bit. Even my little brother and sister, who like almost every video game they play, couldn't stand playing this one.

OVERALL - Overall, Golf is one of the worst sports games I've ever played, and it's definitely the worst one I own. It's not challenging, fun, the graphics and sound are terrible, and I could go on and on. It's so bad that I'm almost embarrassed to have been born the same year it was released. Ok, no game is THAT bad, but this one is pretty bad.

Reviewer's Score: 2/10 | Originally Posted: 07/06/01, Updated 05/20/02