Review by Psycho Penguin

"Not as good as the first but the magic is still there"

The original Pitfall still stands as one of my favorite action/adventure games of all time, and definetly one of my favorite Atari 2600 games. So when I picked up a copy of Pitfall 2 at my local goodwill for ten cents, I expected the game to deliver the same fun and exciting gameplay that the original had. Did it? Sure, the game was fun and very challenging, but overall the game still stands as one of the best Atari 2600 games in the system's history. It may not be as good as the first, in my opinion, but that does not change the fact that I am a big fan of this game and think that it is one of the better Atari 2600 games ever made. And with its release on the Activision Classics compliation for Playstation, it now has a greater chance of being loved by the mainstream gaming society. Anyways, on with my updated review to Pitfall 2 for Atari 2600!

Graphics (8.3/10)
The graphics looked a little bit better than the original, and they still look pretty good for an Atari 2600 game. The water looks good in the game, and the enemy designs are very nicely done and the enemies do look better than they do in the original Pitfall. The game has a more varied backgrounds even though at first the graphics seem like they're just like the original. The game looks great and looks much better than the original Pitfall, in my opinion. Overall, the graphics in Pitfall 2 may seem a lot like the original at first, but soon it is realized that the graphics are a lot better than the original!

Music/Sound (6.1/10)
My friend does like the music in the game and finds it funny, I like it to a certain extent. My friend also told me that this was the first Atari game to use music. The sound effects are basic but sound better than the original. If this was indeed the first Atari 2600 game to ever use music, then the music in the game is great, if it wasn't, then the music in the game was just average. Why is this? Well, if the music is new to the console, then that means it is good for a first attempt. But if it is not an innovative idea, then the music is just decent. Overall, the music and sound effects in Pitfall 2 for the Atari 2600 are above average.

Gameplay/Control (8.1/10)
Vile creatures, you must die!! This game is very populated with a vast variety of enemies, and overall the game is just like the original, just not as fun. Why is that? Still, Pitfall 2 is a very good adventure game that paved the way for such stinkers as Tomb Raider...sigh. Overall, Pitfall 2 for the Atari 2600 is a great game, but I preferred the original Pitfall for some reason. Regardless, both games are great!

Replay Value (High)
It sure does take a while to beat, thats for sure.

Challenge (Very High)
This game took me FOREVER to beat. It is so friggin hard!!

Overall (7.9/10)
The game isn't as good as the original, but its a classic Atari 2600 game.

Reviewer's Score: 8/10 | Originally Posted: 05/12/00, Updated 07/16/01