Review by Psycho Penguin

"One of the must fun shooters I have ever played!"

Right now I am over at my friend (reviewer KoLdStEeL) house and we are playing a whole bunch of old Atari games. And when I asked him what his all time favorite game was, he replied: Solaris. So he showed me his copy and I played it. And loved it. This game is so cool. The graphics are very cool (despite those flashing screens) and the gameplay is really tite. I love the old Atari 2600 and this is definetly one of the premiere games for it. The game has a basic premise to it: go around and kill enemies while refueling your ship. But it is so much more fun than that. In fact, Solaris for the Atari 2600 is one of my favorite shooters of all times! Sure, the graphics may look like crud comapred to some of the games released today, but the gameplay and fun factor is still top notch, and isn't that really the only thing that matters in the end? Anyways, on with my updated review to Solaris for the Atari 2600!

Graphics (9.2/10)
These graphics are pretty good, especialy for an Atari game. The game was released in 1986 so the graphics look better than games made in 1980, per se. The game has a 3D look to it, with you in the front and the enemies flying at you. The only I have with the game's graphics are the screen flashes too much and may cause eplipsey. The people are very easy to
make out and easily distinguashable. Again, the biggest problem with the game's graphics is those darn flashing screens. The menus even look pretty good, as they are simple enough to understand what the heck is going on and where you are. Overall, the graphics in Solaris for the Atari 2600 are pretty good.

Music/Sound (7.1/10)
There are hardly any music in the game but the sound effects are pretty cool, ranging from your ship flying to you shooting your gun. Bang bang! Sound effects in Solaris for the Atari 2600 are top notch, even if they are just the basic ''bleeps and bloops'' that we've all come to know and love from an Atari 2600 game. The sound effects actually have a little more variety to them than the basic bleeps and bloops, which is very cool. I even heard some explosions in the game somewhere, which is probably the first time that's ever been done in an Atari 2600 game. So Solaris for the Atari 2600 could actually be considered to be an innovative game. Overall, the music and sound effects in Solaris for the Atari 2600 are top notch.

Gameplay/Control (9.3/10)
Solaris for the Atari 2600 is a fun psuedo-shooter in the reins of Gyruss. Basically you're this flying ship who has to attack these enemy flying ships that are flying at you. When you complete a certain section you get a map and you get to pick a new section to go to. This is pretty innovative stuff right here. Many hours could be spent riding around figuring out what to do next, but the game is so much fun to play that the game never seems to be too boring. Overall Solaris for the Atari 2600 is so cool and so much fun to play, as well as being innovative.

Replay Value (High)
Must.....play....Solaris....

Challenge (High)
I have yet to beat it, but who cares?

Overall (9.4/10)
Just like ten or so other Atari games, this is a lot better than similar games released out there today. I command you to buy this outstanding game!

This game is well worth a purchase!

Reviewer's Score: 9/10 | Originally Posted: 05/14/00, Updated 07/16/01