Trying to clarify the "Illegal Activities" rule as I'm marking breaching posts

#1Merit CelairePosted 3/17/2014 9:07:48 AM
Asking the admins/moderators here because this is an issue that has been baffling me for quite some time.

On certain topics that I create and somewhat monitor to help make sure that everyone is within the TOU/Board Etiquette on this site, I run into an issue that someone has posted a YouTube link - mainly of a song that was originally from a music album that's originally intended to be sold commerically - according to their TOU, that falls under illegal activity because the user there is held under breach of copyright. Here, I mark the post in question to try and help follow through saying that the person is promoting copyright breaches (and to also let the person know that what they're doing is promoting copyright breaches/illegal activity), but it's not deleted/no action taken.

Can someone here clarify what's going on? Once again, this has been confusing me for months now. Thanks in advance for your responses regarding this.
#2Error1355(Moderator)Posted 3/17/2014 10:38:49 AM
If the YouTube video has the 'Buy [yaddayadda]' link on it, it's fine to post.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpG_X-9UKBk

That video wasn't uploaded by the copyright holder, but the copyright holder put it's claim on the content and didn't take it down. At that point it's viewed as a legit link and fine to post.
---
They let us play with markers...
...But I keep trying to draw infinity.
#3Merit Celaire(Topic Creator)Posted 3/17/2014 12:31:00 PM
But here is the problem - I won't mention it here, but the posts that I marked that linked to vids that had said copyrighted content (on the YouTube site) don't have that "claim mark" - but still, no action has been taken to let the posting user here know that they are committing a TOS breach promoting illegal activity. I just need to know what's been going on from that end.

I think the same thing goes for when folks post stuff that was from a TV broadcast that wasn't supposed to be posted on YouTube (unless it's from the copyright holders/station holders).