Do you remember very first time visiting GameFAQs and why?

#1izzymc85Posted 6/18/2014 10:43:55 PM
I don't remember exactly the very first time I visited GameFAQs. For certain it was long before creating this account. I want to say sometime around the year of 2000 to 2003. I think it was maybe for stuff related to GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. Or perhaps was it for Mega Man Battle Network. Maybe it was for Turok 2? I can't exactly remember what it was for initially, but I do remember why I decided to visit GameFAQs specifically. At the time and before using GameFAQs regularly I was visiting a different site for walkthroughs, cheats, and cheat device codes (mainly Action Replay for messing around in some games, and the Battle Network games to make things less tedious, specifically BN3). At the time I only used the site because my older brother was using it based on a recommendation from one of his friends.

I know the name of the site I used before, but let's keep it nameless since it was, and may still be frowned upon from GameFAQs for a very good reasons. Though for those reasons it's what led me to GameFAQs to begin with. Reading the guides' legal section and where it could be posted I've noticed they all had something in common. That was that they were meant to be on GameFAQs unless with given permission (and most times the ones that had permission specifically mentioned the other sites with permission), and that it wasn't to be allowed on other sites at all. Heck, some of them had a blacklist in their guide, and that very site I used was in the blacklist. This actually is what made me curious about GameFAQs. As I kept seeing it mentioned more and more in guides, my curiosity grew more.

So with being curious about GameFAQs I decided to give it a visit. I was actually pretty amazed at how much more info this site had, how more accurate it was, more organized, and how much faster new stuff was posted. As time went on, I used the other site less, and GameFAQs more until eventually that other site wasn't used at all. Heck, I don't even remember how that other site is like anymore. I think I may actually check it out after posting this just to see what it's like now. I'd imagine it's not good at all.

Anyways, I'm kind of glad that other site was stealing the guides and walkthroughs from here because my curiosity eventually led me to a much better site. I'm sure with some users looking back then they never would have imagined being involved here as much. More specifically Allen and Devin. Of course I'm sure some of you old time mods also think about that too looking back at it.

So what brought you to visit GameFAQs the very first time? How did you found out about it? What about this site made you kept coming back? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to say they have expected to get as involved with the site as they are today. So instead I'll ask this. Do you ever think or hope that one day you may actually work or make a career with GameFAQs similar to Allen and Devin?
#2super_luigi16(Moderator)Posted 6/18/2014 11:25:44 PM
I don't remember exactly which game brought me to GameFAQs, but I'm inclined to believe it was either Harvest Moon on the GCN or Final Fantasy Tactics Advance; regardless, my dad and my best friend both used the site occasionally. I used it for a while, but I mostly kept it on the back-burner. I "re-discovered" the site about four years ago, and I haven't left since. I really like the communities that I've found, and the help here is always spot-on. Now, I'm rather firmly integrated into some communities on GameFAQs, and I also write guides and reviews for the site on a regular basis.

As for making a career with GameFAQs? No, I don't see myself doing that at all. Even if I had the skills, I couldn't see myself working for a website. Not my cup of tea.
---
Luigi > Mario
http://www.facebook.com/SLFAQS | Current - MK8 FAQ/Walkthrough - MGWT FAQ/Walkthrough
#3ScarlettEve(Moderator)Posted 6/19/2014 12:07:10 AM
It was around '02 or '03, and my then-boyfriend showed me the site. I wasn't particularly impressed, I dubbed it LameFAQs. I don't think he ever made an account here though and I've been here since about a month after that and became a moderator. So... When I'm wrong, I'm wrong. And I was really wrong, the site is amazing. I love the community, I love the information and the discussions, I love that there are both guides and message boards.

I don't plan to make a career out of it though, no.
---
Totally puppies.
#4ZoraTunic(Moderator)Posted 6/19/2014 1:52:14 PM
I don't remember exactly what game brought me here, but it was my two older brothers who first introduced me to the site. The game that kept me here and really got me into the forums was Tales of Symphonia since that board had a great community back in '04.

As for not knowing how important the site would be to me when I first signed up- talk about understatement. This September I'm getting married to someone I first met here about 9 years ago, so there's no question this place will always be special to me.

I don't think I'll ever make a career out of my time here, however. Not my field.
---
Dawn of the Final Day
-24 Hours Remain-
#5stahlbaum(Moderator)Posted 6/19/2014 2:56:52 PM
I found the site sometime in 2000 looking for Castlevania 2 maps (going through NES nostalgia phase). Then in 2002 I made an account and posted mainly on the RM2K boards before creating Dragon Quest walkthroughs and posting with those communities.