how do i change the difficulty on single player?

#1krazyninjaman3Posted 3/8/2010 2:11:12 PM
i want to do hell mode on single player but it doesnt give me the option to change difficulties
---
Chuck Norris and Kyle Katarn walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.
#2eggman 38Posted 3/8/2010 3:02:11 PM
You cannot (easily) change the difficulty in Single Player. Play Multiplayer instead.
#3krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2010 3:40:05 PM
hmmm, whats the hard way? is it some kind of hack perhaps? if i were to be able to play on hell mode in single player, would i still be able to do all the quests?

btw thanks for the responce

---
Chuck Norris and Kyle Katarn walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building.
#4eggman 38Posted 3/8/2010 3:51:14 PM
I wouldn't say it's hard, but I also wouldn't say it's easy. The problem with it is that you have to play Multiplayer anyway before you can do it. Here's a link the describes the process.

http://homepages.inspire.net.nz/~lennylen/diablo/spdiff.htm
#5krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2010 4:13:00 PM
sweet, i pulled it off and started a new game in hellmode difficulty - i got killed by the first badguy i saw! awsome!

anyways, scince i exploited a bug to pull this off, will the quests work as if it were a regular single player game? or will the game run as if it was strictly a multiplayer game (were 90% of the quests are removed).

---
#6krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/8/2010 4:16:13 PM
well, after restarting the game, i noticed that the difficulty dropped to normal after i reloaded, so basicaly the bug fixes itself the moment you log off that character. thats too bad but at least its fun to play around with a lvl 1 in hellmode for a bit.
---
#7eggman 38Posted 3/8/2010 9:41:03 PM
anyways, scince i exploited a bug to pull this off, will the quests work as if it were a regular single player game? or will the game run as if it was strictly a multiplayer game (were 90% of the quests are removed).

You can do the quests.

well, after restarting the game, i noticed that the difficulty dropped to normal after i reloaded, so basicaly the bug fixes itself the moment you log off that character. thats too bad but at least its fun to play around with a lvl 1 in hellmode for a bit.

You should be able to do the exploit when loading games too. I think. Maybe.

I'm not 100% sure, actually, as I just play Multiplayer.
#8LennyLenPosted 3/9/2010 1:59:29 AM
You should be able to do the exploit when loading games too. I think. Maybe.

No, it won't work.

The exploit works because when a single player game is created, it doesn't set the difficulty variable (it gets set when the entire application is first started), and so if this had already been changed by a previous multi player game, that value gets used instead. However, either saving a SP game does set this value (to normal), or loading a SP game does, so in either case, the game will be reset to normal if you load a game.

Long story short - you must always start a new game for this exploit to work.

---
- LennyLen (Not to be confused with LennyLen)
#9LennyLenPosted 3/9/2010 2:14:57 AM
Now that I've thought about this a little more, my memory tells me that you can load games and still have the exploit work. However, you will need to have already been playing a MP game in the same session on the difficulty you want to play. So, if you save while playing on Hell difficulty, quit and restart Diablo, then load your SP game, it will have reverted. You need to restart, then play MP at the difficulty you want, then end that game and reload your SP game, all without exiting the entire application.

I'm pretty sure now that that is correct. Unfortunately, I'm a bit hazy on the details these days. It's been about a decade since I wrote the article eggman mentioned earlier.

---
- LennyLen (Not to be confused with LennyLen)
#10krazyninjaman3(Topic Creator)Posted 3/9/2010 8:59:07 AM
thanks alot for the responses people, its much appreciated. Yeah i always hated how i was unable to challenge myself with a legit character on single player once i got uber gear.
---