Which Mercs are best with which classes?

#1MSIMagusPosted 2/14/2012 10:18:27 PM
I have been playing a Ranger for a bit now and found the tank merc works very well to keep heat off of me. As a result whenever I started my Beastlord I just grabbed another tank. However I am damaging enemies faster then he can taunt them off me, then there is the fact I have a pet and finally that I tank fairly well myself. I was thinking as a result I should switch my merc to a DPS one but a friend said not to bother they do not do much more damage anyways but can die way easier.

I am wondering if you guys find this to be true? If not which merc do you recommend for a beast-lord? I would also love to hear what you recommend for other classes as well since I have a few alts I plan on playing a lot.

Thanks!
---
Government is the enemy, until you need a friend - Bill Cohen
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
#2HBOSSPosted 2/14/2012 11:33:13 PM
a bunch of factors - mainly the mercenaries fill-in roles for you or your group that you might not have...

so as a ranger or beastlord, you should use a tank merc until you can fill that role. since those hybrids are dps classes try AA'ing to boost your dps well enough then AA your tanking AA. Likely, you will be asked to dps in times where you do get groups than tank.

until then stick with what you have working.
also, maybe with your beastlord you can pull & kill 2 mobs at a time.

Beastlord Pet can offtank while you & the merc deal with the main mob. In this case you serve as pet cleric which Beastlords were doing well before mercs were introduced into the game. The time it takes for you to cast heals to your pet should be enough time for your merc establish aggro & all. or.. you can offtank and let pet dps but your pet heals are effective than letting tank merc med for hps.
* Equip your pet with the high level armor + 20dmg weapons... your heals will not be enough to heal it but that stuff makes your pet very powerful & lethal especially when its buffed.

The dps mercs have no hps even when buffed. like i said, if you cannot fill in as a tank dont get a dps merc because they will get ripped in no time by mobs. You can hold the merc until you think the mob wont aggro it too.

There will be levels where your going to use a healer merc & hopefully the time you spent grinding AA on DPS + Tanking will pay off good enough to have a merc heal your character.

For Tank classes, I recommend Healers then finding someone to join you for dps.

For low levels to level 60s, i recommend Tank mercs. Tank merc dps is pretty good vs low hp mobs.

from 70s+, you will need to find groups. Healer or tank mercs are not enough for your duo. Unless your well AA'd (nearly all the AA you can get at current level), mobs arent dying at the pace you were used to...
---
You don't stop playing because you grow old,
You grow old because you stop playing
#3MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2012 1:04:25 PM
Which tiers do you guys use? A buddy of mine just uses tier 1 and swears he has seen no difference from my tier 5. I read online the only difference is the chance that they run away and he has never seen his run away anyways. This true?
---
Tea baggers keep saying they want their country back, well I say I want mine forward - Bill Maher
#4HBOSSPosted 2/17/2012 1:16:38 PM
The difference is really with the Apprentice & Journeymen kinds.

Apprentice ones are right out of the school of magic with barely any experience 'in the field'. Thats one way to think about it.

Journeyman Mercs have some experience outside. thats all...

If your in a camp spot & are pulling reasonably group-able mobs, then the Apprentice merc is fine with handling that + your times of bad pulls.

If your swarm pulling zones (or at least multiple rooms), Your mercs will run off until you dwindle the mob count to fit your Extended target window.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:mercenaries
Tiers
Tier 1 - has a ~25% chance to "Lose confidence" in your group based on the number and /con of the mobs being fought. Adds and Crowd control methods will additionally modify this percentage. Once confidence is lost, the mercenary is effectively worthless in a fight, unless crowd control methods come into play, creating a chance for it to regain its confidence.
Tier 2 - has a ~20% chance to "Lose confidence" in your group.
Tier 3 - has a ~15% chance to "Lose confidence" in your group.
Tier 4 - has a ~10% chance to "Lose confidence" in your group.
Tier 5 - has a ~5% chance to "Lose confidence" in your group.

*Tip: To prevent a mercenary of ANY tier from fleeing battle (losing confidence), set the healer and/or tank merc on passive before an incoming pull reaches camp. Once all/most of the mobs have settled in on the camp, activate the mercs. They will immediately jump into battle and STAY in battle for the duration of the fight with 100% confidence, no matter how many mobs were pulled on the initial incoming pull.
It is possible this trick works by simply bypassing the confidence check altogether.
This trick allows you, for those that can, to pull massive amounts (7 or more) of ANY con mobs all at once and Area Effect/Damage Shield their health down for great solo or group experience.
This trick will allow the owner of healer merc to take control of a bad situation by preventing their merc from running.
Note: unexpected adds each have a chance of causing a merc to lose confidence and flee:
If you can act before the add(s) apply themselves to the hatelist (aggro), you can prevent the mercs from fleeing by simply setting them to passive, then active again after the add(s) aggro. They will continue to fight as if no additional mobs had joined the battle.
If you don't act quickly enough, and the mercs flee, then just try your best to kill a couple of the mobs out of the bunch until their numbers are back down to that of the intial pull; at which point the mercs should rejoin the battle.
---
#5MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/17/2012 1:21:51 PM
So in other words its probally just worth it to go with the tier 1. Wish I would have known this before my tier 5 merc cost me so much and sucked up so much money ;)
---
#6MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/18/2012 9:43:24 PM
What do you think about a Shadow Knight Merc? I am wondering if for once I should switch from the tank role iv been using(and has served me incredibly well)and instead use the melle/rogue merc.
---
#7HBOSSPosted 2/18/2012 11:54:42 PM
For a Shadow Knight/tanks in general, sure a rogue merc works when your done using the tank merc.
---
#8MSIMagus(Topic Creator)Posted 2/19/2012 2:56:47 AM
First off thanks for all the help! Its greatly appreciated! Another quick question though. I hired the melle DPS class, but they keep casting a random spell. Any clue what it is?
---
#9HBOSSPosted 2/19/2012 10:04:53 AM
Its rogue invisi- to be hidden from eyes so they can perform the rogue strikes.
---