The last year on Fippy Darkpaw I had the most fun I'd ever had in EQ

#1BahamutDarkFirePosted 5/3/2012 12:40:50 AM
All the feelings of awesomeness were back from the old days. All the nostalgia and immersion, all the sensations of EQ being my favorite MMO, it was all there.

I rolled a Dark Elf Warrior, took him to max and found myself in one of the better raiding guilds. I eventually earned my way to the MT of the guild, got my epic, and began running raids I never had a chance to raid back in the day due to a totally different set of circumstances. I was a young teen back in 2000 when I first began EQ, and this time around I'd been out of work for a major injury I've been recuperating from for some time, so I've had nothing but time to play. I also never tanked in EQ the first time around and played a hybrid at a time when they were kind of gimpy (SK back in the day). Getting my Warrior epic was one the most exciting gaming achievements I think I've ever accomplished, even if it was only on a progression server.

It's been instrumental in coping with the boredom and depression of not being capable of working and really "living," and had the chance to relive some of my most memorable gaming experiences thanks to Fippy.

Really was awesome. I'm gonna miss the progression server.
---
"Therein is your error, smoke not the bowl, smoke the contents." - Greendrakkon | A kid complaining he wasn't high after "smoking 2 bowls."
#2XxAzraelxXPosted 5/6/2012 1:33:14 AM
I've been missing Everquest so bad, I played it in Beta, quit before Luclin came out and came back for a short period when Lost Dungeons of Norrath came out and then had to quit because my pc blew up. I long for the oldschool days when you could get rubicite (I know it's not good armor but it's more nostalgia) armor in Cazic thule temple.
Still have a crappy laptop that really can't play anything though =(
---
Xbox 360 gamertag: AzraelDKF
#3AngelofD3thPosted 5/10/2012 1:08:44 PM
I wish I could have done the same. Though there seemed to be alot more raid drama than there used to be. Everyone says it existed back then. But at least people talked it out. It was far more hostile then back in the day. And since soe doesn't give 2 flying butts anymore. Kids can cuss you out and will never be banned. I remember playing very aggressive competetive games before coming to EQ. If I ever acted like an idiot I was put in my place. Nowdays you have mmo cool kids who run it.
---
---
Curses and cranberries! I must get to Plymouth now! There must be a way!?
#4VoodooFodderPosted 5/31/2012 3:53:08 PM
XxAzraelxX posted...
I've been missing Everquest so bad, I played it in Beta, quit before Luclin came out and came back for a short period when Lost Dungeons of Norrath came out and then had to quit because my pc blew up. I long for the oldschool days when you could get rubicite (I know it's not good armor but it's more nostalgia) armor in Cazic thule temple.
Still have a crappy laptop that really can't play anything though =(

As long as your laptop can run directX 9.0c games, it can run AT LEAST old world EverQuest.

Rubicite is dropping in the upgraded Cazic Thule, but that revamp is closing down soon.

Sent ya a PM if you want to deck out a character in rubicite.
#5BahamutDarkFire(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 9:57:47 AM(edited)
Ah man, such feelings of loss since I've quit. I have no real desire to play the later expansions of the game as the classic triad of vanilla, Kunark, and Velious were the experiences I craved.

No other MMO gives me the same level of excitement or accomplishment (except maybe FFXI which is a close second, also recently played), and I've already gone through and been bored of three other MMO's since this first post. Darkfall was the most likely choice for me, but honestly the terrible marketing and bad word of mouth (somewhat undeserved) really killed the population. As much as I enjoy the game for the "classic" MMO systems combined with skill based progression I thought it was sure to be a hit with others in my boat. Just wasn't to be; the indie devs couldn't crank the content and fixes out fast enough, couldn't retain the playerbase, and the server is spartan beyond playability at this point. I have high hopes for ArcheAge but I'm tempering my excitement with the reality that is the almost assured failure of modern "big budget" MMO's that almost always get some of the basics wrong and are left wondering why their game sank.

They just don't make em' the same anymore. It's all about making everything instant gratification and simplistic to appeal to a more diverse crowd. That's fine from a business standpoint of course, but when you're the type of gamer that likes the more challenging (and subsequently more rewarding) gameplay systems you end up like me, alienated and disillusioned with the times.

While I haven't done everything in FFXI I wanted to accomplish, I pushed that game through dozens and dozens of days /played and it's difficult to get back into it at this point. For all its glory, it still has one of the most shockingly horrific UI's of any MMO. Strange that it still remained so compelling all these years. Al'Taeiu is probably the coolest zone I've ever seen.

If I could build a time machine to relieve the "classic" days of MMO gaming, I would jump through it instantly. Because of EQ, I missed out on DAoC and the early days of FFXI.
---
Magyar nok. Gyonyoru!
http://www.beauty-queens.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/Agnes_Dobo_01.jpg
#6BahamutDarkFire(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2012 10:00:11 AM(edited)
I do recall the shocking amount of drama this go around, but it comes with the times. EQ is seen as an oldschool "hardcore" MMO and you get a lot of types that take the word "hardcore" way too literally. They act like their s*** don't stink and generally don't care about the experience of others. Two guilds in particular stood out in this manner, but I won't name drop and honestly, I just avoided it. The guild I was a part of took NO PART in such drama as we were all like-minded: returning vets looking to relieve their gaming glory days.

I will say this; my guild was ex Legacy of Steel. ^____^
---
Magyar nok. Gyonyoru!
#7BRod6074Posted 6/8/2012 12:02:29 AM
I have no real desire to play the later expansions of the game as the classic triad of vanilla, Kunark, and Velious were the experiences I craved.

I feel ya man. I haven't touched EQ for almost a decade, but I was very disappointed when Luclin came out. Just kinda changed everything. I basically quit shortly after because of all the bugs that came with the expansion and the overall feeling that the world became so small due to nexus transporting (well that and I was getting bad grades in high school).
---
Da doy dought da dasketdall.
#8EnclavePosted 6/8/2012 2:48:27 PM
BahamutDarkFire posted...
Ah man, such feelings of loss since I've quit. I have no real desire to play the later expansions of the game as the classic triad of vanilla, Kunark, and Velious were the experiences I craved.

Then why not play Project 1999?
---
The commercial says that Church isn't for perfect people, I guess that's why I'm an Atheist.
#9Eveldo SmythPosted 6/12/2012 12:17:14 PM
Yeah, it sounds like you should check out Project 99. The server has seen better days, but right now you could jump in and experience Kunark. Could probably find a raiding guild and get to your 50s before Velious comes out.
---
"The Sultan of Brunei plays polo." Warren Zevon
http://www.last.fm/user/eveldo/
#10BahamutDarkFire(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2012 5:51:52 PM
I've never attempted an unofficial server of any game, but perhaps I'll look into it.

I've also heard of corrupt GMs and favoritism on that server, as well sources telling me it's dying.
---
Magyar nok. Gyonyoru!