Joystick question...

#1OrzunoidPosted 6/12/2010 1:01:39 PM
Hey everyone! I recently found my old copy of X-Wing Alliance and am eager to play it after many years. Unfortunately the joystick I used with it back then is no longer in my possesion. My question to you guys is what joystick on the market now would do this game justice? I'm still running Windows XP, but I will soon get a laptop with Windows 7 probably.

On the same train of thought, I assume most of you guys liked the original Tie Fighter game, so what joystick would work well with that, too, even though it's a very old game?
#2HBOSSPosted 6/12/2010 1:06:47 PM
i really liked the microsoft sidewinder precision 2.. its the joystick i used back when i played the game on my old pentium II lol. its a bit bulky but its a nice joystick.

yah, sorry i dont know of any good ones. I checkout some joysticks from time to time & still feel that siderwinder precision 2 still better. IF i were to get a current joystick, it would need to out-do that joystick for me.
#3lindallisonPosted 6/13/2010 10:49:07 AM

what's your budget and do you plan on playing any other space or flight sims besides XWA and Tie Fighter?

#4Orzunoid(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2010 1:09:20 PM
I would rather not spend more than $50 for one, but I really haven't looked at the market so I'm not sure how expensive up-to-date models are. As for other games, I wasn't planning on playing anything else, but if another Star Wars flight sim comes out I would consider getting it.
#5thelovebatPosted 6/14/2010 5:07:07 AM
Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2 are some other awesome non Star Wars related flight sims that will help you get your moneys worth with the joystick you buy. And the games are available at GOG and cost only maybe $10. Too bad X-Wing and Tie Fighter aren't available on there yet.
---
"Too bad you can't reload your game and try again." Cassidy- Fallout 2
#6lindallisonPosted 6/14/2010 10:48:21 AM

Orzunoid posted...
I would rather not spend more than $50 for one, but I really haven't looked at the market so I'm not sure how expensive up-to-date models are. As for other games, I wasn't planning on playing anything else, but if another Star Wars flight sim comes out I would consider getting it.

well, then go with HBOSS's Sidewinder Precision 2, or a Saitek X52 set if you want a Throttle, or a Saitek CyborgX PS38 for another stick only option....

Personally I don't like light sticks that have a twist axis.

I use a CH Combatstick 568 USB and a set of CH Pedals for Xwing Alliance. With CH's control manager software you can combine them into one device, and use the pedals for the rolling in Xwing Alliance, which is brilliant.

but then I also fly IL2 and a whole brace of space sims from Freespace 2 to Independence War 1/2 to All the old wing commander games.....so the ~$180 combined cost of the CH peripheals was worth it to me....their stuff is indestructible.