I can't install it on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

#1KillerJuan77Posted 3/12/2010 1:11:50 PM

I just got the game (11 bucks with box, manuals, and the big box) but everytime I try to install it it says to me that "This product can't be installed on Windows NT due to a DirectX 6.1 limitation" even if I choose Windows 2000/95/98 compatibility mode, what can I do?

#2spartan911Posted 3/13/2010 4:49:55 AM
Havenīt heard of this problem before, but I ran it through Google and found this:

Run SETUP.EXE from the CD-ROM with the parameter "-lgntforce".
To do so, select "Run" from your start menu, enter "x:\setup.exe -lgntforce", where "x" is the letter that your CD-ROM drive uses.

Hope that helps.

---
Tea and Biscuits?!
#32bitSmOkEyPosted 3/25/2010 10:40:34 AM

Where did you get it? I would love to have a physical copy of this game. I just started playing this for the first time ever a couple of days ago (I tried in the past but never could get it to work) and all I can say is this game leaves me speechless. I like how it dooks all over Bioshock even though it came out over 10 years before it. Well, honestly it dooks all over pretty much every single player game ever made so thats not entirely fair to Irrational Games. I know this was the golden age for gaming but wtf man, such unrivaled creativity.

TC, if you do get it to work make sure you install all of the high res model and texture mods, it makes a huge difference.

#4Lawman_316Posted 4/11/2010 3:59:33 PM
Is it really THAT good? I just bought it yesterday for a dollar at a flea market. Haven't fired it up yet, but I'll get to it eventually.

There're mods to update the graphics? Me likey, though I think I'll play it as it was originally intended first.
---
"theres too many abbreviations these days, i need a code book to read the internet" - rabsta
#5spartan911Posted 4/12/2010 1:27:09 AM
The gameplay might not be great fun for everyone. But the atmosphere and experience of the game is amazing, for something this old. Better than a lot of games these days, even Bioshock.

As for mods, there's the SHTUP which updates the environmental textures to a higher resolution.
For character models, the Rebirth mod has high-res upgrades. Haven't really used it enough to judge.
There might be some others. I initially played the game without any updates about a year ago and enjoyed it just fine.

---
Tea and Biscuits?!
#6KillerJuan77(Topic Creator)Posted 4/13/2010 5:04:55 PM

I got it in complete and mint shape for 13 dollars on the mexican eBay (Mercado Libre), and yes, it's one of the best games I've ever played, I got it running after installing some patches and stuff.

#7Lawman_316Posted 4/14/2010 4:27:51 PM
It took some tinkering, but I got the game to run. Thus far, my opinions are mixed, though I think it's moreso the conditions under which I'm playing the game than anything else that's hurting the experience.

The graphics aren't very good, but then the game was released in '99, so that's not exactly a surprise. However, some of the graphic effects don't seem to work. I try pyrokinesis, but no fire shoots out, unless I had cryokinesis chosen by accident. I'll look into it, but I think I may seek out graphic mods sooner than intended, specifically if certain graphics aren't working right.

It's also very hard to play with a laptop touch pad, especially since I can't look and move at the same time (not a matter of lack of skill, the POV literally will NOT move when I hold down arrow keys). I'll have to get a controller or mouse to fix this. Killed the first enemy, was killed by the second with my back turned.

All the options at the beginning are different, in a good way, but still disorienting. That'll likely lead to more playthroughs, though.

If there's one honest complaint I have with the game so far, it's the voices. The voice actors just sound awkward, though the computer voice (which I assume is the voice of the Big Bad Baddie) is just fine.

I'll give this more of a play and give a more thorough synopsis later. Hell, I only paid a buck, so what do I have to lose?
---
"theres too many abbreviations these days, i need a code book to read the internet" - rabsta
#8spartan911Posted 4/15/2010 1:36:22 AM
It's also very hard to play with a laptop touch pad, especially since I can't look and move at the same time (not a matter of lack of skill, the POV literally will NOT move when I hold down arrow keys). I'll have to get a controller or mouse to fix this. Killed the first enemy, was killed by the second with my back turned.

The controls are a bit stiff, though you should be able to set it to the regular WASD setup. I'd still recommend using a mouse over a touchpad though.

All the options at the beginning are different, in a good way, but still disorienting. That'll likely lead to more playthroughs, though.

I never know which class to pick on the first try, but if you're playing on easy or normal, which I'd definitely recommend for the first time, you'll get enough chance to take some steps into other specializations throughout the game. Only the advanced PSI powers take a significant investment to be viable.
The most difficult choice for me is always the OS upgrades. Select them carefully.

If there's one honest complaint I have with the game so far, it's the voices. The voice actors just sound awkward, though the computer voice (which I assume is the voice of the Big Bad Baddie) is just fine.

You don't like the voice acting? That's unusual, I've always heard people praise the audio in SS2.
Although I guess most of the audio logs were probably done by the dev team itself.
I don't know which part of the game you're on, but I think you'll find it gets a little better later.

---
Tea and Biscuits?!
#9Lawman_316Posted 4/15/2010 11:03:13 AM
I'm not far into it at all. I don't get far because it's retardedly hard to play with a touch pad. That, and last time I played an alarm kept going off and I couldn't figure out why. Upon further inspection I came to the conclusion that it was the result of cameras. A mutant caught me in a corner, I couldn't get the view to straighten out, and I was rather easily killed. These mutants don't take much to kill, but it doesn't take much for them to kill you either.

I'm focusing on psionic skills. That's all I really need to know for the moment. Also, the graphics DON'T display fire effects, so I'll be looking for a graphics upgrade.
---
#10griever503Posted 5/6/2010 6:54:21 AM
^Seriously, get the hi-res mods and play with a mouse. It makes the game THAT much better. I'm playing a run-through on Hard with a Marine and I had forgotten how ridiculously awesome this game was.