Beat the OC... should I play SoU or HotU next?

#1KalirionPosted 10/24/2009 1:44:21 AM
SoU is for starting level 1, right? Guess I shouldn't use my Lvl 17 Monk for that. But I can use the monk with HotU, since it's only 2 levels above the recommended start and shouldn't make a huge difference in the long run, right?

Shame about the gear disappearing though....

In any case, is there a reason to play SoU before HotU?
---
"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." - George HW Bush
#2ChaosArbiterPosted 10/24/2009 3:06:39 AM
The character in HotU is supposed to be the same one from SoU - it's not required to play SoU first, but it's assumed your character has been through it. There are some characters from the OC who will talk about the "Hero of Neverwinter," as well.

And you can get your gear back fairly soon, so it's not that big a deal.
---
Humanity's one redeeming virtue is the ability to corrupt anything.
#3red255Posted 10/24/2009 4:40:10 PM
yeah but it really should be SoU gear and cash, after beating the OC i had so much cash it really wasn't fair for HotU once I got to the underdark I could easily upgrade several weapons to +10 with all the effects. and you got a bunch of rings of elemental resistance or power, which make the last chapters constant cold damage... moot.
---
Anybody saying this is anime of the year will immediately be shut down when FMA comes out. -cloudvstidus4life | Posted: 2/17/2009
#4ChocolatlPosted 10/24/2009 8:47:05 PM
Your character should have saved automatically when you first created it. I'd just start SoU over with that character.
#5Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2009 10:47:59 AM
Eh, I don't feel like building up my Monk from the ground up again...

Well I started a new SoU char, decided to try a Sorcerer (with 1 level as Pally for Divine Grace.) So far been an uphill battle soloing, lots, LOTS, of reloading and basically cheating with bosses by running away and resting before continuing the fight... Using one of my fellow students as a mule for baggage since 10 STR does not a full backpack lift.

Starting stats:

Str 10, Dex 14, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Char 16. All skill points going to Concentration and Spellcrafting (not sure if this is really necessary though, a soloer can't spend time counterspelling, right?). Also have some in Lore and Discipline from the Pally level.

Anyway, we'll see where this goes. Spell picks so far: Level 1: Magic Missile, Endure Elements, Identify, Color Spray. Level 2: Ghostly Visage, Melf's Acid Arrow. Level 3: Fireball.

So, am I screwed?
---
"I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God." - George HW Bush
#6ChaosArbiterPosted 10/25/2009 12:18:41 PM
Spellcrafting (not sure if this is really necessary though, a soloer can't spend time counterspelling, right?

Spellcraft also gives a +1 to saves vs Spells for every 5 ranks.

As for whether you're screwed ... I don't know. I can't play Sorcerers.
---
Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living. ~ Duiker
#7red255Posted 10/25/2009 3:51:58 PM
the first chapter of SoU is rather hard for a lvl 1 guy. normally fixes itself rapidly, but its an uphill climb until then. With one level of paladin you'll be able to get the holy avenger maybe? and that'll give you about as much chance to hit as a rouge or something wont it?

I wouldn't have multied that soon. you need 3 levels of paladin before you get Holy shield feat,

and early on getting your sorc to the defensive buffs of stoneskin and improved invisibility is likely far more important.
---
Anybody saying this is anime of the year will immediately be shut down when FMA comes out. -cloudvstidus4life | Posted: 2/17/2009
#8Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 10/25/2009 4:18:54 PM
I never actually planned to take more than one level of Paladin, was only in it for the saves, and the disease immunity didn't hurt either. In fact, at this point getting my allignment to Lawful Good would be an uphill battle itself :)
---
#9Kalirion(Topic Creator)Posted 10/26/2009 10:55:14 AM
Well, got the Holy Avenger and it's a beut :). It's first order of business was making the killing of its guardian just slightly less than impossible (man THAT one took a lot of reloads.)

I don't see it making much of a difference later on when its +5 attack bonus will not be enough to hit squat anymore, but for now it allowed the tanking of Master Zaar, the Shield Guardian, and a bunch of Slaads...
---
#10ChocolatlPosted 10/26/2009 5:37:01 PM
FYI--in HotU there'll be a way to upgrade your weapons.