Is Ranger/Wizard/Arcane Archer a good build?

#1DrZulu2007Posted 1/27/2010 8:39:57 PM
And if that's the case, how should I build the character?
---
If that's found in a shop, we buy it, not pirate it.
Now playing : Dragon Quest V.
#2red255Posted 1/28/2010 4:06:06 AM
IF you are going to use Wizard, you picked Elf.

you need 10 non -prestige class levels Pre level 10, Being a Ranger Elf, is well...people like to do it for roleplaying options Rather than it being a 'good idea'

A multiclassed build is going to be suffering crippled spellcasting, unless you don't take your warrior levels, in which case you won't be able to hit anything.

So you have to determine what spell level you want to stop at?

I am not entirely sure, but I would suggest Bard 5, Fighter 5, AA 10, allowing for Fighter 6 post epic for Epic weapon specialization. OR perhaps RDD for Devestating critical longbow/shortbow.

Or rogue. for the sneak attacks.

but taking bard gives you the bardsong and a better attack base (although, not so much better at level 5, being +3 over +2) better HP (6 HD over 4) access to tumble, access to use any item. access to appraise.

and a vulnerability to XP penalties if you don't put you classes in properly. But its the combat form of arcane spell casting. Assuming you are mainly arrows it would seem to be the better choice for a ranged warrior.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#3Sirk99Posted 1/28/2010 10:09:43 AM
Picking either elf or half-elf will avoid all xp penalties as long as you use wizard. The half-elf, however, can use any combination of base classes without xp penalty. Don't worry about attack bonus because as an Arcane Archer it will be ridiculously high, though having a bab of 16, by level 20, will allow for the full number of attacks per round. Which will be very easy to do unless you go wix/sorc for 10 and then arcane archer.

With a ranger/wizard/aa I'm assuming you're going for 9 levels of ranger for the dual wield and a level or two of wizard for the prerequisites. With your insanely high dex you could effectively dual wield weapons though your damage will be very low compared to using a bow.

The benefits of using ranger are being able to get lots of skill points with hide/move silently as skills and a small damage bonus to a few types of enemies.

Overall, it will be effective and allow another option of attack. Other classes offer different bonuses such as rogue's sneak attack, fighter's weapon specializations, barbarian's uncanny dodge, bard's skills and spells, cleric's buffs, etc.

Unless you want a number-crunched aa to be the "best," it's all really up to personal choice, especially if it is for any of the campaigns included.
---
I need a sig.
#4DrZulu2007(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2010 8:56:45 PM
Is Human also a good race for this kind of build?
---
#5Sirk99Posted 1/31/2010 9:17:03 PM
One of the prerequisites of the arcane archer class is being either an elf or half-elf.
---
I need a sig.
#6DrZulu2007(Topic Creator)Posted 1/31/2010 9:28:01 PM
Ok. Thanks.
---