64 bit compatibility and game difficulty

#1AcinathPosted 3/4/2010 2:51:14 AM
Two separate questions ;) Yes I know this is an older game.

1) Is there a way to get this game to run on a 64 bit system running windows 7? Windows is being stubborn and insisting the game has critical compatibility issues. I tried googling info on the problem but all I can find is old forums posts on the Bioware site that wont load for some reason.

2) As far as game difficulty I see a lot of posts on different forums with elaborate class builds and such. Is all that necessary? Can this game be played "casually"? I played it for a few days on my old PC right before I bought my new one so I don't have much time in the game. I'm mostly just looking for a new story to play through if you catch my point. Not super easy but not a nightmare to play.

TL;DR version

1) Is there a way to get this game to run on a 64 bit system running windows 7?

2) Is there a simple class/way to play this game?
#2ChaosArbiterPosted 3/4/2010 7:16:37 AM
1) Is there a way to get this game to run on a 64 bit system running windows 7?

Er, mine works on 7 (x64) ... granted, I installed it when I had Vista, but it runs just fine.

2) Is there a simple class/way to play this game?

Yes. Essentially, you just have to make your own choices, as the computer's Feat selection and such are junk. But yeah, I'm pretty sure that any class can solo the OC, SoU, and *maybe* HotU (depending on how you play it).
---
"Akira! Oh, how that lonesome sound brings me back. At the end, I am an anime otaku at heart."
"... What?"
#3ChaosArbiterPosted 3/4/2010 7:17:48 AM
OH, for the 7 thing: did you get the 1.69 patch? If you don't have 1.69, it won't run on Vista (and presumably not on 7 either).
---
"Akira! Oh, how that lonesome sound brings me back. At the end, I am an anime otaku at heart."
"... What?"
#4hunter71485Posted 3/4/2010 6:44:38 PM
Is there a way to get this game to run on a 64 bit system running windows 7? Windows is being stubborn and insisting the game has critical compatibility issues.

Have you tried to run it in compatibility mode yet?
---
Spinda's face is like a train-wreck; it's horrible, yet you simply can't look away ~spinda moveset guide on smogon
#5ChocolatlPosted 3/5/2010 9:04:36 AM
Don't know the answer to #1, but as far as #2 goes, I like to play more casually--just make my choices as I go along instead of planning builds in advance. I think it's more fun that way, though I know I'm in the minority.
#6Acinath(Topic Creator)Posted 3/6/2010 3:51:17 PM
It's installing now... Last time I tried windows gave me grief. I'll look into the patch as soon as it finishes installing.