Are there any 3rd party graphics replacements for this game?

#1TheoJavaPosted 11/9/2010 4:09:25 PM
I've had Neverwinter Nights Diamond edition for years now, and this is my first time actually bothering to play it. The reason I waited so long is because the computer I'm using right now seems like it was basically built to not play it. XD I had to tweak a few things (like processor core affinity, and a few other workarounds for Vista compatibility) just to get the game working. I've had no problems with crashes or anything serious like that yet, and the game seems to usually run pretty smoothly. The only issue is that it occasionally goes through bouts of lag, particularly in outdoor areas and places with a lot of characters on screen. Because of this, I've found myself slowly adjusting the graphics sliders, leaving me with a game that's starting to look pretty ugly.

So yeah, are there any types of graphical replacements I can try out? And for that matter, feel free to recommend other mods you enjoy as well. =^)
---
Where am I going with this?
http://gameingredients.blogspot.com/
#2omgairshotPosted 11/9/2010 4:24:40 PM
You should check out my module, Realms of Midgard when you are done with the campaigns. It's a multplayer world hosted in action under server vault (meaning you make a new character and it saves to there as you progress)

Unfortunately, NWN is a game that is almost ten years old now. A good graphics card and higher settings can make things look better (and some of the new 1.69 tilesets look great) but it's still always going to be an old game.

The graphics aren't THAT bad. They just can't compare with current released games.

NWN2 had good graphics but that's pretty much all it had and it's gameplay was severely lacking compared to the original.
#3dark lancerPosted 11/9/2010 5:13:26 PM
omgairshot's server has a lot of problems with it, which is why it stands mostly empty, and he's been spamming the board with his unsolicited module information.

There are a lot of other great and fully customized servers out there that have decent sized followings given the age of NWN and they even boast their own unique systems, monsters, and items. Some games use custom subraces, and many have custom languages (which means that your text is scrambled and can only be understood by people who know the language) and crafting systems, and there are even a few servers which implement primary and prestige classes that did not come with the official game or official expansions. I've found that many servers these days require you to download custom files before playing, so you'll have to see their websites for download information.

The CEP download is huge but has a lot of graphical improvements that you only get to see on servers that build with it. A lot of it looks great, but it's mostly fluff and doesn't work too well with the game camera (CEP trees and foliage block your view, for instance). You can find CEP on the NWVault, just search for "CEP" there. Servers using CEP will require you to have downloaded CEP.

The PRC is another huge download found on www.nwnprc.com which implements the new community-developed classes, skills, feats, and spells, but like CEP it's only useful for playing on servers which support it, so short of a great deal of NWN wizardry you won't be able to use any of it in the official campaigns. Some of the new primary classes include Samurai, Knight, and Ninja, and there are quite a few prestige classes as well.
---
Boycott Hollywood.
[Papal Crusaders] Dissent is not intolerance.
#4omgairshotPosted 11/9/2010 5:22:13 PM
dark lancer
Posted 11/9/2010 7:13:26 PM
message detail

omgairshot's server has a lot of problems with it, which is why it stands mostly empty, and he's been spamming the board with his unsolicited module information.

My mod has graphic problems? Since when. People who visit the module always compliment how visually nice it is.

Most nwn servers are "mostly" empty. The fact that I can average 5-10 regular players a day on a game that's over 10 years old despite switching hosts over 6 different times over the years is pretty good. Some people from this board have played this module and liked it. Dunno what your problem was. in fact didn't you have some custom hakpak/override that caused you to crash at the first shop, you being the only player out of HUNDREDS to ever have that problem?
#5dark lancerPosted 11/9/2010 5:57:09 PM
My mod has graphic problems? Since when. People who visit the module always compliment how visually nice it is.

I didn't say that your module has graphics problems, just design problems. For that matter your city looks pretty dumb.

Most nwn servers are "mostly" empty.

People flock to the good servers, not the bad servers.

Dunno what your problem was.

My problem was and remains that you have been pretty rude to people in your other posts, you misunderstand and misrepresent other people's comments and opinions, you attack anyone with criticisms, and you've been spamming the board with all of your topics.

in fact didn't you have some custom hakpak/override that caused you to crash at the first shop, you being the only player out of HUNDREDS to ever have that problem?

It didn't happen with my paladin, but it happens with my wizard. Someone else suggested that it was a hak or override that caused it, but that can't be it since I had already deleted them.
---
Boycott Hollywood.
[Papal Crusaders] Dissent is not intolerance.
#6omgairshotPosted 11/9/2010 7:46:26 PM
Explain these "design problems" my city has. It's a city built up around a town square (where players can sit down relax, socialize, roleplay, whatever). You might not have an interest in those things, but other players do.
#7omgairshotPosted 11/9/2010 7:55:02 PM
Was your Paladin on yesterday?
#8happyscrub1Posted 11/10/2010 8:10:35 AM
Sounds like you need a new PC. This game is very old. Do your specs meet the requirements?

---
Question, how did world trade center building 7 (the -3rd- building to fall) collapse during 9/11?
#9TheoJava(Topic Creator)Posted 11/10/2010 11:29:37 AM
I think the issue is probably that I don't have a machine that was built for gaming. It uses a very basic Intel graphics controller chip that came with the PC. I'd sooner get a new PC before getting a GPU for this one.

I was able to get graphics replacements for Morrowind, that made it look very good, to me.
---
Where am I going with this?
http://gameingredients.blogspot.com/
#10goldenmouthPosted 11/10/2010 12:07:28 PM
The Aurora engine is horribly unoptimised. It doesn't scale well with new GPUs/CPUs anyway.

=you won't necessarily get better FPS with heavy modules, from a $40 card to a $400.
---
Have you ever been so drunk you wet the bed? Not even sleeping, just standing over, peeing on it?