Getting Diamond Edition to run on Windows 7

#1loveless9Posted 7/3/2011 7:24:34 PM
So, I'm running XP and Neverwinter Nights runs perfectly for me... but that's not the probably, I'm trying to install Neverwinter Nights: Diamond Edition on my friends laptop loaded with Windows 7 and it will not run the game at all. It usually gives me an error that says something like "not compatible with this version of windows". So I looked up the error and found out that one of the fixes is supposedly patching the game to v.169... which is impossible to find considering the Bioware Neverwinter Nights homepage doesn't exist anymore. Any tips? I'm at a loss. His computer can run the game no problem, so I don't think specs are an issue here. The game has a known compatibility issue with Windows 7, does anyone know a workaround? I can get this game to run on Windows XP and even Ubuntu... yet I can't get it to run on Windows 7... well, this is to be expected from Microsoft... I guess.

Anyways, any help will be appreciated.
#2dark lancerPosted 7/3/2011 8:50:25 PM
I had the same issue when I installed D2 on Windows 7 last night. All I did was set compatibility mode to XP SP3 and clicked "run anyway" and it worked fine.

It annoys me when people are quick to blame the OS (especially a Windows OS) for all of their installation problems.
---
Think.
[Papal Crusaders]
#3loveless9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2011 9:14:45 PM
dark lancer posted...
I had the same issue when I installed D2 on Windows 7 last night. All I did was set compatibility mode to XP SP3 and clicked "run anyway" and it worked fine.

It annoys me when people are quick to blame the OS (especially a Windows OS) for all of their installation problems.
---
Think.
[Papal Crusaders]

Unfortunately, it is Windows 7 that's causing the problems. I'm competent with operating systems. I've tried your method and many others. Several people have had the same issues with the Diamond Edition and Windows 7, but the patch that fixes it is hard as hades to fine since the Neverwinter Nights Bioware website doesn't exist anymore.
#4loveless9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2011 9:23:08 PM
Found the solution, I think. I'm testing it out.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/187/index/3341490
#5loveless9(Topic Creator)Posted 7/3/2011 10:26:22 PM
loveless9 posted...
Found the solution, I think. I'm testing it out.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/187/index/3341490

Yep, anyone with a similar problem just follow the steps in that link and you'll be good to go.
#6KobaltKnightPosted 7/22/2011 7:12:49 AM
I followed the instructions and they got the game to work for me, but now I have a rather annoying issue with the game. Whenever I run it the whole game is played in a small box in the middle of the screen surrounded by black borders. The box is only maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of my actual screen size. I updated my drivers, I tried to change the resolution (of both the game and my desktop), and now I'm not sure what to do.
#7NingishzidaPosted 7/23/2011 4:38:43 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8backwoodsbertPosted 7/25/2011 5:46:44 PM
dont know what to say knight. myself and another used resolution 1600x900 settings for monitor and set the nwn video settings to this too. it worked for both of us. in the thread video on laptop. i dont know if this makes a difference. but i started a new game. then while in the game i went to options and then changed the resolution in game.
#9jhokiePosted 8/9/2011 6:55:06 AM
Windows 7 is a fine OS... games such as these are complex and there are many variables that could cause problems.

Theres no guarantee that super old games will run on windows 7. Dig up an old xp cd key and run xp in vmware or virtuabox. Problem solved.
#10PixelzdustPosted 9/5/2011 8:47:12 PM
It's not that hard to find the patch if you search on google, and if you must know YES it does fix it. I found the 1.69 patch within minutes of searching.