Time to play Thief 2?

#1NightmareKindPosted 7/30/2012 8:37:13 AM
So I've had Thief 2 for some time, but I've hardly played it. I know it's going to take a fair bit of time and effort to get it working on this computer. Many patches and compatibility fixes will need to be applied, not to mention some basic mods and texture packs I'll want to get. I do want to play Thief 2, but I'm not sure if it's worth all that hassle. Just how good is this game? I played the first one and thought that was great. Should I just do this and play Thief 2 already? I wish it wasn't such a struggle for compatibility on modern machines. I saw a sale on Steam for this game not long ago. I wonder if they've released a version updated in some way with that aim in mind?
#2TazmanianDPosted 7/31/2012 4:54:37 PM
This game is nearly at the very top of my all-time favorite games and I've played a lot of games so heck yeah it's worth playing.

I don't know how much work should be involved in getting it to play. There really isn't anything in the way of mods to install although the "Thief Enhancement Project" has a few textures upgrades in it.

To get the game working on modern systems, you need to make use of DDfix which has always done the trick for me. You can check out the forums at ttlg.com where a lot of technical info exists to get the game working.

Thief 3 (Deadly Shadows) is also worth playing if you spend some time tweaking the badness of the UI and Thief 2x (a massive professional-quality game made by fans from the Thief 2 engine) is also excellent.