Alaron as a Bow/Magic User

#1Fick1122Posted 8/5/2012 6:07:39 AM
I have always built Alaran as a physical Sword or Hafted user with a little bit of magic, but on my current playthrough I am considering leveling up his missle skill and having him as a ranged bow and magic user. I've never had any characters use bows, so I'm not sure their effectiveness. Has anyone done this?
#2triaxx2Posted 8/5/2012 12:16:09 PM
I know Lone Soldier is a big proponent of bows, though I favor throwing weapons. As a magic user, Alaron is pretty capable.
---
I am Triaxx Guardian of earth.
Sole member of the Guardians. RP/FF Char Count:15
#3LoneSoldierPosted 8/6/2012 7:39:47 AM
actually I prefer thrown to bows...

and I usually turn Alaron into a front-line sword/mage... (fireball/dragon flames for when I can't reach them with my blade)

Brenna's my "annoyance fighter" with the thrown weapons... I almost never go a round without attacking something
---
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
---Another long day, Another Lone Karma point---
#4triaxx2Posted 8/6/2012 3:17:18 PM
I seem to recall you having a plan early on for hunting bandit leaders. I remember it involved camping near Gwernia, and I thought it involved bows.

Of course my memory might be wrong and I'm thinking of someone else.
---
#5LoneSoldierPosted 8/7/2012 3:34:07 PM
throwing irons to pick off the bandit archers while I move everyone else into striking distance perhaps?

I did try bows at least once tho... I found the thrown "class" to be a bit more accurate, however I probably did not have maxed stats/skills at the time...
---
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
---Another long day, Another Lone Karma point---
#6triaxx2Posted 8/7/2012 4:03:47 PM
Ah. Must have been Evil Mage then.

I find once I get Dragon Fangs, nothing gets too close, or gets away except bosses. Bows I find to miss too often for my liking though the enormous range is available far earlier among bows than it is among throwing weapons.
---
#7Fick1122(Topic Creator)Posted 8/8/2012 5:19:45 PM
Eh, I may build Alaron as the usual physical/magic user. Bows seem like they'd be fun, but I'm worried I'll regret it later in the game. Godric is going to be my go-to ranged attacker anyways, and I'm not sure if I need another.

By the way, since we're on the topic, how do you two suggest I build Godric up as a throwing iron user? What are the important stats to pump up early on?

I also noticed with this topic we broke into the top ten message boards, so that's exciting.
#8LePhenomPosted 8/8/2012 7:16:51 PM
I had a bow and a throw user at the same time in my team, liked them both. Enemies always already half dead before they get to my fighters.

I really liked the accuracy bow, which fixes the low accuracy problem someone mentioned above.
#9Foxhound3857Posted 8/16/2012 8:36:26 AM
I myself prefer Bows to Thrown, but until you get to Talewok, neither one is truly viable due to the low To Hit on the weapons you'll find up to that point. You need the Bow of Accuracy or the Heartseeker Bow (or even the Bow of Shielding) in order to have a reasonable chance of scoring a hit.

35 To Hit is the best you can do until then, which is no good.
---
My Guitar Hero 3 Wii FC: 4038-8152-2179
#10triaxx2Posted 8/16/2012 9:47:24 AM
Dexterity is the important stat for Throwing. Godric is pretty good, since his starting weapon is actually a throwing knife.
---