Would I like this game?

#1LoneCourier2281Posted 3/15/2014 11:38:31 PM
I'm a huge fan of RPGs, turn based or not.

I like well written stories or at least interesting characters and NPCs.

Graphics aren't that important to me exactly, if it's passable I can manage.

Umm... Other than that not sure what else could help.
---
Who wants to play... Video games??
#2triaxx2Posted 3/16/2014 1:46:49 PM
Sounds like you'll like it, but make sure you've got memory expansion card, otherwise Alaron's hair will put your eye out.
---
I am Triaxx Guardian of earth.
Sole member of the Guardians. RP/FF Char Count:15
#3imameliaPosted 3/16/2014 9:39:29 PM
I could ask the same question. (I could make a new thread for it, but I thought maybe it would be better to just post here instead of making a new thread with the exact same title. My apologies to jfloydLunar if I'm stepping on your toes at all here.) I like some RPGs...I like turn-based battle systems and especially like them with action commands (a la the Mario RPGs), but I don't like random encounters (unless the encounter rate can be turned up or down like in Bravely Default and the default rate isn't too high) or ATB meters (unless they're like the kind in Grandia where they pause indefinitely when it's somebody's turn). I don't have to have an amazing story, but I at least want one that isn't annoying or depressing (no downer endings!), and I have a strong dislike for sexual stuff. Also, I don't like it when games make you do a lot of backtracking, make you figure out where the heck to go next, or put much emphasis on inventory management.
#4LoneCourier2281(Topic Creator)Posted 3/16/2014 10:37:55 PM
No it is totally fine, imamelia.
---
Who wants to play... Video games??
#5LePhenomPosted 3/17/2014 4:09:25 AM
There's no random battles. You can see the monsters on the field, and can try to sneak by them if you want.

There's no active time during battles: you have all the time you want to make your decisions.

And to TC, the NPCs have interesting conversations, sometimes even with conversation choices.
#6triaxx2Posted 3/17/2014 6:01:33 PM
Yeah, pure turn-based. Surprisingly, you can actually move around in a circle, the size determined mostly by dexterity I believe, and then chose an action. Singing and being in melee combat vastly reduce the size of the circle, though there's still a bit of leeway. Backstabbing is actually running behind the target and attacking them from there, as opposed to the front. The closest this game comes to the 'sexual stuff' is Keelin and she's entirely optional.

Also, if you want interesting Dialogue, Godric is both funny and thoughtful. And Abrecan and Becan have interesting interaction. Rheda's not bad, but I found her less appealing the second time around.
---
I am Triaxx Guardian of earth.
Sole member of the Guardians. RP/FF Char Count:15
#7LoneSoldierPosted 3/21/2014 3:34:46 PM
you'd have to play with Baird in your party at least once if you like dialogue...

Keelin's pretty tame compared to some other games out there
---
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
---Another long day, Another Lone Karma point---
#8Flamechamp2333Posted 3/21/2014 10:53:51 PM
i see you guys listened to me when I said you should ask about this game on the rpg board

This, to me, is the most addicting game I've ever played. That one summer in junior high, i literally played this game from the evening to sunrise every day pretty much.

And this game is pretty big on exploration and a lot of times, you're only told to go "north" or follow road signs, so if you don't like that, it may not be for you.

Ask more questions if you have them, lone soldier here knows absolutely anything and everything about this game.

Can you guys please tell them what makes this game so addicting if you get into it?
---
this screenshot is for warcraft 3 players: http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/5835/masscritters.jpg
#9LoneSoldierPosted 3/22/2014 6:38:08 AM
for me it was the way the story only gives you a little bit of information up front, so you really have to look around to find your way through the maps and figure out where you're supposed to be; It put me in the mindset of:
"hmmm... what's over there?... is that important?...better go take a look"

next thing I'd know the sun would go down in real life and I'd eat a quick dinner and go to bed...lol

This is not a game where an old man or a tiny fairy tells you exactly where to go and what to do
I found it more immersive having to talk to a lot of people in the towns then piece together the clues they give you. To be fair tho, sometimes you do get a very obvious clue when someone asks to be taken somewhere or asks you to find something (but they don't always know exactly where that place or item is...hehe)

It's possible to miss a TON of stuff in this game and not even realize it...
the game file I played when I was writing my FAQ has over 300 hours logged...lol
---
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
---Another long day, Another Lone Karma point---