What... is the point of Ershin?

#1Grandy12Posted 1/25/2012 5:54:12 PM
Gameplay-wise, I mean

At first I thought he (she? I'm talking about the fighter not the... you know.) would be the wall of the team, what with the (seemingly) high (to me) counterattack percentage, and the "Stand Out" skill that makes everyone target... it.

Then I realised Ershin has far less defense or HP than the minimum nescessary to fufill that role properly, and the "melee fighter" category is done far better by Cray, or Ryu, or Scias.

Ershin's got a high concentration points... but ridicullous maximum MP, so much that I'm late game (cray just did the you know what to you know who with the knowwhatimsaying-slayer), and it barely has enough MP to use three spells in a row, or wisdom enough to make it efficient to waste the few MP he has.

The only thing Ershin seems to have going for it as far as I can see is "Death".

And that hits so often, I never use it.

so, since Scias joined, Ershin has been in an official permanent backseat, leeching my EXP.

Did I do something wrong? Should I have put it under a master (other than the one I did, that tigress one that teaches "Wild" fighting style) to make it more efficient or something?
---
Relevance is a prerequisite for cleverness. ~ LHS_2012
JUS: 4382-1831-2782 Brawl: 4382 7053 3006
#2AlltraPosted 1/25/2012 11:30:02 PM
No, that sounds about right honestly. Ershin's role is unneeded because of how easy the game is. Plus, it really can't fullfill any other role as well as the more specialized characters. Filler Character comes to mind...

That's not to say Ershin isn't useful though. It's uses are just very situational....very situational.
---
My interpretation of reality is different than yours.
#3Mad_CartoonistPosted 2/3/2012 6:04:43 PM
I have him/her under the AP healer job w/ Transfer, since he/she has the most concentration points.
Not sure if I'm doing it right, but it works.
IIRC, it should stack in a combo, so Rest, Transfer, and Vitality restore a neat amount of AP to the whole party.

Oh yeah, i sometimes use him/her as a substitute for creating combos as he/she has access to all tier 3 magics.
To this day, I've still yet have he/she learn Primus ._.
---
Official Sophia Esteed Eternal FanClub Prez (22)
Bleach used to be an awesome anime, then Kubo Tite took a Getsuga Tenshou to the knee.
#4XDecimoXPosted 2/3/2012 9:19:53 PM
I put her under Rwolf once I got her, and then Abbess as soon as I could. Has more Wisdom than Ursula right now, but I can't speak much of her AP considering she's level 27 and I only just got to Chedo, so we'll see how she is in 10 levels or so, but that'll pretty much be at least a 40 AP rise, which would bring her to like 100 AP. Plenty enough to use 10 or so spells in a row. And that's a worst-case scenario estimate.

She's a physical assist early on, and a spellcaster late-game.
---
PSN - NeroTheDB
#5-Katsuri-Posted 2/5/2012 2:54:17 PM

The first time around, I honestly didn't know what to do with Ershin. She was weaker than everybody else, both in attacking physically and magically. The second time I played the game I put her under magical masters, the last being the abyss old woman. Her AP increased along with her magic, and she can became a pretty good magical user along with my Ursula and Nina. I use them to unleash magical combos on enemies for fun.

#6KarsUltimatePosted 2/6/2012 12:38:38 AM
XDecimoX posted...
I put her under Rwolf once I got her, and then Abbess as soon as I could. Has more Wisdom than Ursula right now, but I can't speak much of her AP considering she's level 27 and I only just got to Chedo, so we'll see how she is in 10 levels or so, but that'll pretty much be at least a 40 AP rise, which would bring her to like 100 AP. Plenty enough to use 10 or so spells in a row. And that's a worst-case scenario estimate.

She's a physical assist early on, and a spellcaster late-game.

Oh damn. I dont remember if I was that low. Ive taken so long this playthrough I tried to rush the end in one sitting. Ive stalled at the save point but I swear I am not done. If it wasnt for Ershins CP, Transfer plus Spirit Ring I think I would be in a world of hurt. (I havent tried the Shamans Ring yet.)
---
http://i40.tinypic.com/15yfy1v.jpg
Mortal Kombat 3 Special 56 Pepoles: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FY38b3cV5g
#7FooFightersFanPosted 2/14/2012 4:25:30 PM
Ershin was actually a decent idea on paper, but when it came to actually playing the game, she was no good. It seemed they designed her as a physical fighter at first and then would switch to be a magic user late in the game. Ironically, magic is more effective at lower levels and physical is more effective at higher levels, thus making Ershin useless. If she had been reversed, or gotten good magic sooner, this could have worked out.
#8MeepleLardiclePosted 2/15/2012 9:25:42 AM
Actually, replaynig the game recently? Building Ershin around uses in the 2nd half of the game, and just acknowledging that she's worthless in the first half will make her really good.

As in, start her off with a Mage build immediately, and keep to that consistently throughout. Yes, she will suck big time early on, but you usually have a 4th character to let Ershin rot in the back, be it Cray or Scias, so her sucking now isn't a big deal. I'd say it pays off later...except BoF4 is, as someone said, a little too easy to care about such things.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!
#9RyuFireheartPosted 3/4/2012 8:38:58 PM
There is no underpowered characters in BOFIV.
My Ershin at Lv 73 has the following stats:
HP:3728
AP:181
CP:34
PWR:390
DEF:353
SPD:183
INT:414
Equipment:
Wpn: Mass Driver (atk 104/wt 1)
Arm: Chopam Plate (def 50/wt 8)
Acc: Dragon Tear

Damage against Rider(that strong headless knight from Mukto):
Normal Atk: 1300
Her Inferno dmg: 1606

This is a natural stats run(There is no lv up under masters or stat incrasing items).
She has beaten Nina INT around Lv 60. Nina has 374 INT at the Lv73.
---
Sorry for the english ' . '
#10AshtonRPG7Posted 3/6/2012 3:58:44 AM
Im running a No-Equip run right now, and ershin is one of the best things i have, her role, one very curious

Extension!

For real, with ryu and nina you can do the most common Burn>Sever (firewind combo), but when you give eddy to ershin you can do Burn>Eddy(Firewind)>Sever(Firewind 2) combo.. which is really nasty :P

Later ershin can learn all sort of elements, making extending combos much better, so nina comboes last and hits twice, ershin has also the most concentration points, so its not bad at all to move her in the back often for one turn whenever i need to heal someone, or revive, PLUS, being in the back ershin can comtimes cover with an extra attack, which isnt too reliable but its something at least

Anyways, Ershin's role in No-Equip is extending aoe comboes so nina can combo last and do even more dmg than normally, perfect role for ershin ;)