Best bang for your rune buck

#21walterzmeowPosted 2/13/2013 6:22:07 AM
Have you experimented with class change in depth?
A few examples that come to mind:

Paternus- switch to fighter, with the goal of 3rd tier fighter class.
Bagdemagus- switch to priest, with the goal of cardinal
Lecarra- switch to archer, end goal of artemis
Gereint- switch to priest, end goal guardian
Guinglain- switch to mage, end goal wizard

Thoroughly experiment with unusual setups. Someone who usually melee's will still have that potential but would also have spells. And vice-versa. Perhaps not optimal but who knows???

I've been meaning to do this but lost my disc years ago.
---
http://www.globalresearch.ca
#22Prevch2(Topic Creator)Posted 2/13/2013 9:00:25 AM
walterzmeow posted...
Have you experimented with class change in depth?
A few examples that come to mind:

Paternus- switch to fighter, with the goal of 3rd tier fighter class.
Bagdemagus- switch to priest, with the goal of cardinal
Lecarra- switch to archer, end goal of artemis
Gereint- switch to priest, end goal guardian
Guinglain- switch to mage, end goal wizard

Thoroughly experiment with unusual setups. Someone who usually melee's will still have that potential but would also have spells. And vice-versa. Perhaps not optimal but who knows???

I've been meaning to do this but lost my disc years ago.

Walt,
I have been doing a little bit of this. For example, I just changed Glauze to a mage. Now, granted, I have only gone up a couple levels, but right now, he is not a great mage because his MP is so drastically low. I think it's better to go from mage to melee than melee to mage; or at least that is my observation thus far. I suppose if you start at level 1, you could probably mix and match better than someone who is already level 12 or higher likea Glauze.

@HM, Have you tried the knights only challenge at all? That's one that I am thinking about pursuing.
#23HMandACFanPosted 2/13/2013 1:30:42 PM
You seem new to Brigandine. I wouldn't try knights only if you are. It's too hard. I've tried it before, with no success. Try an easier challenege, like no summoning, only 2 knights (and their monsters) at a time, or the level 10 challenge. I've experimented a little with class changing (Gish makes for a good monk), but it doesn't sound like much of a challenge. I'm thinking of doing something for a challenge, but it's complicated and I'll have to type it later. :p
---
Currently Playing: Civilizzation V (PC), League of Legends IGN: MeltedWater
#24StrombadaPosted 2/13/2013 5:19:50 PM
Late to the convo and I really don't want to do a bunch of quoting, so I'll just cover a handful of things here:

- I'm a fan of the Lizard Guards as a low cost unit. I generally have 3-4 in a 18 monster group and allow them to fill in gaps on my front lines. Poison Breath is fun and has a chance to Poison a target in its two-hex line attack.

- I prefer Rocs over the Phoenix upgrade. IMHO, the chance to petrify outweighs the healing factor, more so when there are several other options for healing that don't run the risk of healing your enemy.

- Death Needles would be great if they had the HP to be able to Tank like their Highest Base DEF stat would suggest that they are designed for.

- Fenrir are great for Hit & Run guerrilla warfare tactics. Inferno can be used to help mop up weakened groups in a three-hex line.

- Loki are probably the best of the Giants, though, I would wait until you have a Wisdom Seed to start training a Giant to be a Gigas. Be able to maximize those 10-30 level gains for your Meteor Doom casting.

- I'm iffy on Vampire Lord. I like the fact that they are easy to get, but I feel they lack the firepower necessary to be a three-black orb monster. Essentially they are Nightmares with the added bonuses of a third orb, a ranged Bat Attack, and Necro Rebirth who can also regenerate lost health. And they also fly.

- Pegasuses have better stat growth than the Unicorns, specifically in the areas that a healer unit needs them in (MP, INT, and AGI). Plus they have the ability to fly so they can cover areas that Unicorns can't get to. Halo is a bonus if you have MP to spare and need to help boost your Clerics' leveling which is going to be slow going until you can get Holy Word (or give them a boost by cross-classing with the Enchantress class).

- Nightmares would be okay if they had a better INT stat to help with their spell hit rate.

- Knights Only challenge is difficult because Brigandine is not a game about how powerful your knights are. You could probably have Vaynard, Zemeckis, and Cai and still have issues winning very many battles, let along completing the game. I will say that a moderately leveled Ninja can defend a city by himself so long as there isn't a large group of casters and breath monsters coming at him.
---
Yang: My papa always taught me that you could solve any problem in life by throwing a barrel at it.
Edward: Your father was Donkey Kong?
#25walterzmeowPosted 2/14/2013 10:10:42 AM
Glauze as a mage would work quite well. He has a decent INT to start, can club well, and still tank a few hits.

Initially the class change will seem silly but with 10 levels of growth the results should be interesting. Don't be affraid to melee with a knight turned mage and vice versa
---
http://www.globalresearch.ca
#26HMandACFanPosted 2/14/2013 3:00:41 PM
Strombada posted...

- I'm iffy on Vampire Lord. I like the fact that they are easy to get, but I feel they lack the firepower necessary to be a three-black orb monster. Essentially they are Nightmares with the added bonuses of a third orb, a ranged Bat Attack, and Necro Rebirth who can also regenerate lost health. And they also fly.

- Pegasuses have better stat growth than the Unicorns, specifically in the areas that a healer unit needs them in (MP, INT, and AGI). Plus they have the ability to fly so they can cover areas that Unicorns can't get to. Halo is a bonus if you have MP to spare and need to help boost your Clerics' leveling which is going to be slow going until you can get Holy Word (or give them a boost by cross-classing with the Enchantress class).

- Nightmares would be okay if they had a better INT stat to help with their spell hit rate.

I would hardly say VL's are easy to get, and also disagree with your strong dislike of them. "They are essentially nightmares but with blah blah blah blah"....you listed a LOT there, a lot of GOOD stuff. They are the ONLY monsters with Necro Rebirth, one of the only ones that can attack from 2 spaces away (upgraded Angels/Demons being the other), and the only monster with 3 black orbs. They are also one of only 3 monsters that regenerate health (Vampires and Phoenixes being the other 2). Then, talking about pegasi, you talked up how great flying was, but said it was no big deal for VL. Then you talked about how "ok" Nightmares apparently are, but then said VL's aren't, even though you admitted they're better.

By the way, noone in their right mind would NOT cross-class a cleric with enchantress, nor would very many ever chose to get a Nightmare...for reasons you mentioned. I think Nightmares are probably the single most useless monster.
---
#27StrombadaPosted 2/16/2013 9:44:20 PM
I would hardly say VL's are easy to get,

What're you talking about? Ghouls are dirt cheap (Mana and Rune Power wise) and level fast. A few Halos and feeding them a Rune Knight or two? You have a level 20 Vampire ready to upgrade to a VL in three, maybe four fights.

and also disagree with your strong dislike of them.

"Strong dislike"? Just said that I'm iffy on them. They're okay units, but lack the necessary firepower to be a frontline fighter (as their HP growth would suggest that they are).

"They are essentially nightmares but with blah blah blah blah"....you listed a LOT there, a lot of GOOD stuff. They are the ONLY monsters with Necro Rebirth,

Necro Rebirth is over-rated. Waste of MP. Also, you're forgetting the Satan and it's Upgrade. Not that anyone is going to look to use Necro Rebirth over Meteor Doom, Curse, and Divine Ray.

one of the only ones that can attack from 2 spaces away (upgraded Angels/Demons being the other)

So we don't count Centaurs/High Centaurs and Man-Eaters? Of course, the VL is the only one who's ranged attack COSTS SP to use, so there is that. I guess?

and the only monster with 3 black orbs.

Arch-demons and Satans don't count either, I guess. Damn that demon class. Always being so elusive in your attempt to make a scathing post.

They are also one of only 3 monsters that regenerate health (Vampires and Phoenixes being the other 2).

And I guess we don't count the Water-types that regenerate in Water now either.

Then, talking about pegasi, you talked up how great flying was, but said it was no big deal for VL.

Selective reasoning much? Did you even read why Pegasuses being able to fly makes them better than Unicorns? The fact that VLs fly was an after thought. Thought I had added into one of those things that makes them better than Nightmares, not that it was "no big deal".

Then you talked about how "ok" Nightmares apparently are, but then said VL's aren't, even though you admitted they're better.

Let me highlight the part that you apparently missed: " Nightmares would be okay if they had a better INT stat to help with their spell hit rate." At no point did I say that Nightmares ARE "okay", just that they would be "okay" if they had a better stat to help them do their job: Be a support unit.

What did you smoke before you interpreted anything in my post? Seriously. It's like you're trying to make a big deal out out of something that's insignificant. VLs aren't that great. Their Rune Cost is low for a Third Tier monster, but for 5 more Rune Power I can have a Loki. But hey, at least they aren't Poseidons.
---
Yang: My papa always taught me that you could solve any problem in life by throwing a barrel at it.
#28StrombadaPosted 2/16/2013 9:45:50 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#29StrombadaPosted 2/16/2013 9:47:39 PM
walterzmeow posted...
Glauze... ... can club well

Why do I get this image of Glauze wearing a fishnet shirt, carrying glow sticks, and raving out like there's no tomorrow?
---
#30HMandACFanPosted 2/16/2013 11:14:20 PM
Your best hope for an argument, Strombada, is to look for any error in my posts that you can find, and then just simply point them out. I guess the fact that I wrote a post really fast without thinking much, and haven't played Brigandine in over a year, means that my opinion is null and void and so we should just all listen to you then. Whatever you say, bro. Your opinion is totally right.
---