Worth while party? (maybe spoilers?)

#1KrazyVikesfanPosted 12/21/2009 8:02:49 PM
Decided to play thru this game, beat it once but that was years ago and I remember I used Serge Glenn and Kid, but want to spice things up. Went thru and saved Kid myself and was using Serge Leena and mixing up my 3rd member trying to find a suitable character. Now got Mel, and really like the potential I am seeing, HP STR and MG low for my taste (obviously Leena been in my party since the beginning) but again really like how her Boomerang can hit all enemies.

SOOOO heres the question:

Should a party of Mel Serge and Kid suffice? Like I said Leena been in my party since the beginning, including all boss fights, and got stat boosts from the fights, do characters level better the more boss fights they are involved in? Becuase I sure as hell like Mel and Kid in my group, but leave me with Serge as my best mage (Leena had amazing Mag). In the long run Will there stats boost overcome my lack of mage power? Or will pure brawl become my part
#2PernaiPosted 12/21/2009 8:34:40 PM
A party of the three very worst characters (stat-wise) would suffice. And, actually, that gets pretty fun. Point is, Chrono Cross isn't hard at all. Mix up your characters however you want.

I'm kinda fond of Mel, personally. She's mediocre all around, but is one of few magically-oriented characters in an innate dominated by physical strength (Poshul, Leah, Viper...). Plus, a thief that isn't Kid or Fargo. Don't much care for either of those two, but that's me. And yes, boomerangs are neat.

To your second question, magic versus melee: Physical strength is -- by far -- more effective. You certainly can depend on element-heavy parties, but a heavy fist gets things done quick. The game mechanics make fights a breeze if you muscle up, but magic's still an option. Again, the whole thing falls to personal preference.
#3KrazyVikesfan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2009 9:33:21 PM
Okay cool, as I have taken a fonding to Mel and Kid in my party.. So should I keep Mel in my party particularly to make sure she gets those boosts from winning boss fights? Because Leena and Guile are (I am guessing) all statted up but Leena is more superior at casting magic. In theory will she be stronger being in all my fights as opposed to never using her for like 20 bosses, then suddenly using her? I know I may be confusing but I am confused to how Chrono Cross' leveling system works
#4PernaiPosted 12/21/2009 10:04:59 PM
If you'd like, sure. Remember also to get between-battle increases with any character you want to improve.

That is, after boss fights normal battles will often give your characters tiny boosts -- usually +1 or +2 HP for a few fights. After that, some might pick up a strength or magic point or what-have-you. Doesn't happen all the time, but it's worthwhile to have your characters fight 5-10 encounters after a boss anyway. You never know.

Characters NOT in your active party still get stat increases from bosses regardless, but only bosses. If you never use them they lose out on those small HP/stat gains in between (which really do add up).

Also keep in mind, all characters aren't equal. Even gaining those boosts won't put certain characters on even footing. Most have their strengths and their weaknesses and those never change (Poshul, for instance? Never a very powerful Element user). They'll fluctuate within their own limits a bit, nothing's set in stone, but you'll never see Mojo as strong as Serge for example. Stuff like that.
#5KrazyVikesfan(Topic Creator)Posted 12/21/2009 10:17:46 PM
okay thank you so much as u made this alot simpler for me, I just found out about the inbetween stat boosts (my first time ever playing I just roam around so prolly missed out on alot of stat boosts) Funny thought tho is that Leena is a better mage than Guile? Huh, Again thank you so much As I will make sure I keep Serge (no brainer) Kid Mel and Leena boosted as much as I can.
#6MaximoomPosted 12/22/2009 5:09:49 PM
Mel is quite a good character. More specifically a caster (reasonable magic stats, and good stamina works greatly for elements), yellow is not that bad element color, at least better then red.

I recomend not using kid, kid have suck bad stats (even tough you get her quite early), the worst innate color (there is not one decent red-only element).

Fargo still being the best stealer on my opinion, since i am melee oriented, and fargo is quite a strong melee damage dealer and he is also blue (works greatly together with leena)

Leena is a TANK, possible one of top characters, her only weak point is strenght, but this is randon, sometimes the bonus-between-star just make she have quite hig str aswell.
Res, MRes and Mag is ALWAYS high on leena, possible the highest of ALL your characters.
#7CloudSith5060Posted 12/23/2009 12:47:43 AM
Mel is quite a good character. More specifically a caster (reasonable magic stats, and good stamina works greatly for elements), yellow is not that bad element color, at least better then red.

I recomend not using kid, kid have suck bad stats (even tough you get her quite early), the worst innate color (there is not one decent red-only element).

This is mostly true, although Mel has worse stats than Kid overall(Mel has one of the 3 lowest Str stats in the game, lol), and Yellow is barely better than Red(PhysNegate is the only good thing about Yellow innates; Red is actually better if you stock up on Recharges over multiple playthroughs).

Despite Mel's horrible stats, she's not half bad though. Boomerangs+Stealing is a pretty cool combo, and she is the best Yellow caster(which is pretty sad, considering her Magic isn't even good...).

Leena is a TANK, possible one of top characters, her only weak point is strenght, but this is randon, sometimes the bonus-between-star just make she have quite hig str aswell.
Res, MRes and Mag is ALWAYS high on leena, possible the highest of ALL your characters.

Leena is tied with 16 other people for the lowest Res in the game.
---
Do you... want my carrots?
http://dagobah.biz/flash/kumatora-dance.swf
#8MaximoomPosted 12/23/2009 2:39:53 PM
i played through chrono cross like 10 times (starting from 0), and from my experiences Leena always has res, mres and mag very high.
#9Moeman_Posted 12/24/2009 12:40:29 AM
Do what I did in my last playthrough: change it up every other boss fight, but try to keep innates different colors. Obviously, I'm speaking of the two flanking characters; keeping innates different would mean using no white innates for most of the game!

So for example, take Serge, Kid and Glenn on one boss fight, then Serge, Poshul and Luccia on another, and on your next one bring Serge, Pierre and Riddel. Admittedly, things do get interesting when you're on New Game + or Continue + and you get that Relief Charm, though.
---
- This was another useless post by yours truly.