Does this make you hate the Vice-President of Square-Enix?

#1Zora_PrincePosted 2/6/2011 8:04:08 PM
This might be old, but....

When fans say they want another continuation in the Chrono series, here's what the Vice-President of Square-Enix said...

"Why does everyone ask about Chrono Trigger?" he laughed. We told him it's a very loved series. "That's not what the sales tell me!" he responded.

"If people want a sequel, they should buy more!"

>_<

Release more games in the series, and we'll buy more!

A lot of people already own Chrono Trigger for the Super Nintendo or the Playstation. Even though I personally will pick it up on the DS, why would most of the fans?
---
Last Game Beaten: Chrono Cross (PS1) 7/10 Great first 90%, but disappointing at the end.
Currently Playing: Tales of the Abyss (PS2) Loving it.
#2slartiferPosted 2/6/2011 8:32:45 PM
Yeah, that is kind of a silly attitude.

It's hard to see how Chrono 3 could possibly produce lackluster sales. Maybe it looks different from Japan? I'm skeptical, but I dunno.
#3Super SlashPosted 2/6/2011 8:39:53 PM
^Because Chrono Cross sold really poorly compared to CT, and due to the bad taste left in a lot of CT fans mouth's, there's no reason to think a new title would sell a lot.

But W_Mark is probably going to post in here and tell you that that interview is fake. I remember him saying something like that, but I don't know of any sources confirming it.
#4W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 2/7/2011 2:28:47 AM
That piece of news is fake. It comes from here:

http://www.rpgsite.net/news/342/square-want-more-chrono-trigger-buy-more.html

Personally I didn't even know about "RPG Site" before that piece of news came out. It's not a huge site like IGN, GameSpot or even Andriasang (none of them ever announced that piece of news). Notice how they say "We'll be posting the Front Mission interview in full shortly, so stay tuned." Yet they never posted anything and it's been more than a year now. I've found a Front Mission Evolved interview of Alex Donaldson from E3 2009 on another website and it seems to be the interview referred to here, except there's nothing on Chrono Trigger DS in it. And if it weren't enough, Yoshinori Kitase actually said he was surprised with CTDS's "good" sales in another interview.

There's really nothing that suggests that this news is true.
---
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.
#5Zora_Prince(Topic Creator)Posted 2/7/2011 11:42:20 AM

^Because Chrono Cross sold really poorly compared to CT, and due to the bad taste left in a lot of CT fans mouth's, there's no reason to think a new title would sell a lot.

But W_Mark is probably going to post in here and tell you that that interview is fake. I remember him saying something like that, but I don't know of any sources confirming it.

Even if that link isn't true, Chrono Cross did still sell fairly well. It did become a Greatest Hit.
---
Last Game Beaten: Chrono Cross (PS1) 7/10 Great first 90%, but disappointing at the end.
Currently Playing: Tales of the Abyss (PS2) Loving it.
#6wombatkiddPosted 2/7/2011 11:53:09 AM
"Even if that link isn't true, Chrono Cross did still sell fairly well. It did become a Greatest Hit.

This, Chrono cross sold well enough to get a Player's Choice reprinting, and a second Player's Choice reprinting. Hell, it sold more copies than Legend of Dragoon.

In regards to the OP, this story seems to be fake, but even if it wasn't it wouldn't make me hate the guy. I would make me think he's short sighted and stupid, but that's not the same thing. ;)
#7AlmasNo1FanPosted 2/7/2011 5:53:36 PM
iirc ct ds sold nearly a 3/4th of a million in copies.

what gives?
---
Official Alma Beoulve of the Dissidia 012: Duodecim FF Boards
Official Flute Student of the FF Type 0 Boards
#8LBokshaPosted 2/8/2011 6:18:38 AM
This, Chrono cross sold well enough to get a Player's Choice reprinting, and a second Player's Choice reprinting.

Out of curiosity, where did you find this?
A little Googling shows that "Player's Choice" is actually Nintendo's re-release brand. Chrono Cross did get an "Ultimate Hits" re-release in Japan and a "Greatest Hits" release in the US, but to qualify for the latter a game only has to sell 400k copies, and I could not find any information about sales requirements to qualify for an UH release. (which is Squeni's own re-release brand)
---
You try to run away. But there's no escape! The enemy tries to run away. But there's no escape!
#9ender_ctPosted 2/8/2011 8:46:29 PM
I hate to side with the VP here, but he IS running a business, and he has to have these figured in mind. It's hard for us gamers to deal with that method of thought (it's the same as record label execs turning music into a business model), but it's sadly necessary.

That said, their sales figured WEREN'T bad. But I suppose this is coming from a company that is used to FF level sales.

I just wish they'd port both games via PSN or XBLA, give more gamers the opportunity to check out CC and especially CT. Unless you have a DS, your choices for experiencing the original involve a sludgy PS port or an expensive SNES collectible.
#10W_Mark_Felt_SrPosted 2/9/2011 2:43:20 AM
I hate to side with the VP here, but he IS running a business, and he has to have these figured in mind. It's hard for us gamers to deal with that method of thought (it's the same as record label execs turning music into a business model), but it's sadly necessary.

You don't understand... The irony is that he would say this in a Front Mission Evolved interview. You know, Front Mission Evolved, that game that was outsourced to a no-name US company and made a third-person shooter despite the fact that the Front Mission fans are hardcore fans of tactical RPGs. That game which sold like s*** and was universally panned by critics. He's running a business alright!
---
Not changing this sig until Square Enix reveals that codename FORTRESS is actually FINAL FANTASY XV.
You read it first on GameFAQs.