How to recruit Funguy? (Spoiler?)

#1MykePosted 8/24/2011 6:27:48 AM
It has been so long since I've played CC and I've read several walkthrough at this particular part. I'm lost at how to do this. There is a boulder blocking the hole and a kid is standing next to it. His father is trapped in there. The wraith monster is not there obviously but you're supposed to "scare" one of the crickets. HOW do you scare it? I'm trying to get the mushroom item. I tried to walk/run up to one and it engaged me into battles with them. Sorry if this was ridiculously easy to do but it's been a while and I've never beaten this game before.
---
It's a great day for hockey! - Badger Bob
Pittsburgh Penguins - 2009 Stanley Cup Champions
#2Sky RenderPosted 8/24/2011 7:35:26 AM
Make sure you've talked to the guy in the cave back in the forest proper already. He has to request that you get a mushroom for him before you can save the kid's father.

If the Wraith still isn't there after doing that, you've either somehow managed to arrive too early (which in my experience isn't possible) or have managed to glitch your game out in some fashion.
---
Sky Render
http://www.skyrender.net/hm_portal.html - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Harvest Moon: now includes HM DS!
#3Dirty_Black_7Posted 8/24/2011 10:52:48 AM
A little south of the the incline with the boulder and the kid is a smaller hole in the left wall. Across from that, by the right wall, there should be a Gerridae that is standing still. Go up to that, and talk to it, it should get scared, jump into the smaller hole, and the father will pop out and give you the Mushroom.
#4Myke(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2011 6:38:55 PM
Dirty_Black_7 posted...
A little south of the the incline with the boulder and the kid is a smaller hole in the left wall. Across from that, by the right wall, there should be a Gerridae that is standing still. Go up to that, and talk to it, it should get scared, jump into the smaller hole, and the father will pop out and give you the Mushroom.

There is no Gerridae standing still. There are two just hopping around.
---
#5Sky RenderPosted 8/24/2011 7:39:15 PM(edited)
You did try to take the guy in the small cave's chest, right? He doesn't ask you to get him a mushroom until you do that.
---
Sky Render
http://www.skyrender.net/hm_portal.html - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Harvest Moon: now includes HM DS!
#6sakurayulePosted 8/25/2011 2:15:30 AM
" Recruiting Funguy can be a bit vexing for some people, and this is dependant
on whether or not you took the Shadow Forest path in Another World. If the
rock was used to stuff up a hole in the watery area, the hole in Home World
will be open; if you didn't take the Nikki route, the hole will be closed.
So to recruit Funguy, you'll either have to (1) defeat the wraith near some
kid and let the dad outta the hole (2) scare a gerridae sitting in the water
nearby into another hole, which in turn scares the father out into the open."
---
\_(ツ)_/
#7Myke(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2011 3:43:24 AM
Sky Render posted...
You did try to take the guy in the small cave's chest, right? He doesn't ask you to get him a mushroom until you do that.

I only talked to the guy. I'll try opening the chest next time I play it.
---
#8Myke(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2011 9:30:59 AM
I talked to him again and tried opening the chest and returned to the kid and the boulder. The Gerridae isn't there. Any other suggestion?
---
#9sakurayulePosted 8/25/2011 9:49:43 AM
Myke posted...
I talked to him again and tried opening the chest and returned to the kid and the boulder. The Gerridae isn't there. Any other suggestion?

The Gerridae is in the water, hidden out of view. Mash X down by the stones in the water.
---
\_(ツ)_/
#10Myke(Topic Creator)Posted 8/25/2011 11:07:23 AM
sakurayule posted...
Myke posted...

The Gerridae is in the water, hidden out of view. Mash X down by the stones in the water.

Now that works! Thanks!
---