How do you judge characters' effectiveness?

#1JanodusPosted 8/25/2011 12:36:13 PM
Hello everyone. I'm playing CC after almost 10 years of not playing and it's quite different from my first experience as a kid.

I'm trying to figure out how to "judge" character effectiveness through stats. I've been using Poshul's faq, and simply going to these boards to find character reviews... but it turns out that the game doesn't work that way... so character reviews are pretty much void due to individual playthroughs...

My question:

How do you guys actually determine if a character's stats are average, good, great?

Do you compare them to Serge/Lynx's stats at the moment? For instance... I just got Norris in the game... and here are the stats:

Lynx
HP 322
Str 31
Res 23
Mag 18
Acc 85
Agi 8
M.Res 20

Norris
HP 231
Str 28
Res 17
Mag 15
Acc 85
Agi 8
M.Res 11 <--BAD?

So how would you guys rate Norris for my game? I noticed he has the 2nd highest str stat over amongst my characters (2nd to Serge/Lynx).

Did I get a good Norris or an average Norris?
#2Sky RenderPosted 8/26/2011 8:59:30 AM
Serge/Lynx is always going to be ahead of the curve thanks to the fact that he never leaves the party (and thus always benefits from post-star-battle stat boosts from non-star-battle fights). And whomever you choose to focus on will gradually get more useful anyway since they'll be present for star battles and the post-star-battle fights and thus get more stat boosts than their unused counterparts. In general you can judge the effectiveness of a character simply by what you're up against. If a fight calls for a strong Yellow-innate physical attacker, your Norris is a great pick.
---
Sky Render
http://www.skyrender.net/hm_portal.html - The Hitchhiker's Guide to Harvest Moon: now includes HM DS!
#3adooshbagPosted 8/26/2011 12:47:46 PM
The only two stats that really matter to me are Str. and Mag. The others will vary, and stuff like low accuracy or low stamina regen can easily be fixed with accessories. Say I want to bring a blue innate along with me where I'm going, and I don't care who...I add their str. and mag. and compare it with the other blue innates. Highest score gets to come.

But truly and honestly, the difference is usually pretty negligible. There are some real stinkers in the group, but even those have good qualities (I'm looking at my first playthrough at Terra Tower, Mojoy has crappy stats (32 Str. and 13 Mag.) but his Agility is 45! Razzly is the next fastest at 25. My Turnip is terrible (sadly...I like the little guy) with only 34 Str. and 12 Magi, and 2 Agi. Nothing about his stats are good.

But anyway, take who you LIKE. Serge is so OP anyway he doesn't really need two good characters with him...take a good one and then just toss in whoever. But if you really want to bring your best, take your people with the highest combination of Strength and Magic.
#4Janodus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/27/2011 11:34:01 AM
Thanks guys for the help.

I figured the game wasn't as stat crazy as final fantasy... I remember beating anything in my path with Serge and basically ANYONE on my first playthrough when I was a kid (and had no faqs to help).

I'll pick people who I think are actually necessary (from some form of story... even though these characters are never fully developed/needed in the party) from now on.
#5alexnobodyPosted 9/6/2011 6:21:08 PM
I tend to pick characters who are centered in the game's main plot, like Kid or Harle, or any current sub plot that may be happening at the time, like bringing Karsh to fight the optional boss in which you get the ultimate swallow. (no spoilers here!) Past that, it's pretty much all "How awesome does this character look?" When there's this many characters, I don't have the patience to cross reference stats.
---
18 percent of people think for themselves. If you are one of the 82 percent that don't, copy and paste this into your sig.
#6ScarletWarriorPosted 9/7/2011 1:56:16 PM
It seems that characters like Viper, Karsh, Riddel, Fargo and Glenn have a lot more story than the other minor characters so i usually use them. I think there a lot of characters that are in the game for just the hell of it (looking at you grecco...)
---
Former Metronome Player (and Cape Wearer) of Dingo the Platypus and His Amazing Friends
#7LufueinPosted 9/11/2011 5:55:59 PM
I tend to pick characters who are centered in the game's main plot, like Kid or Harle, or any current sub plot that may be happening at the time, like bringing Karsh to fight the optional boss in which you get the ultimate swallow. (no spoilers here!) Past that, it's pretty much all "How awesome does this character look?" When there's this many characters, I don't have the patience to cross reference stats.

I realize I'm nitpicking here, but sharing that Karsh is a playable character is a spoiler, considering he is an enemy for the majority of the game.
---
[[[[||||]]]][[[[||||]]]][[[[||||]]]][[[[||||]]]]
#8Vindication123Posted 9/12/2011 6:39:01 AM
I prefer alex's method as I do that myself. But characters fade too quickly, so I tend to leave one spot open for story purposes.
---
#9FelurFalasPosted 9/12/2011 7:51:53 PM(edited)
This game is not so hard where stats make a large difference. Get the right equips and Elements, and you are pretty much set, so I guess the best way to judge a character's effectiveness is by their element color and unique equips.

Personally, I judge characters' effectiveness by their cuteness. Razzly and Riddel are super effective!
---
The Thread of Happiness is Weaved by a Canon
Quintensa
#10ElsporkoPosted 9/13/2011 6:50:58 AM
Cuteness is a good way to go because then you get to use Pip and Draggy
---
Toot it in her booty
http://dumbbaby.net/btc.shtml