Does anyone's cities ever just STAY at ... 6 for over 3,000 years?

#1MonarchPaulosPosted 10/14/2012 11:48:08 PM
So far I've been counting... and that's all they stay at, I have every building nearly available for it's time, all the Wonders, etc ... and the city size just STAYS at 6... I have about 9 cities mind you, but I'm just saying it confuses me. I also have 2.3 million people, as I'm playing the Carthans, just wondering... must be the population I guess, needs to grow more... I still haven't grasped this game entirely.
---
PSN: PaulosBlade, AIM: PaulostheSpy
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulosTheGamer , I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies!
#2Pako PakoPosted 10/19/2012 1:19:44 PM(edited)
imgur.com/cR735

Here's a breakdown of the city-screen. If you play on Chieftan, or load the Tutorial savegame, or change your options to add Help, you get pop-ups.

For the purpose of growth, you need to have surplus food, which means your city must be in a food-rich area (grasslands, oasis, buffalo, whales) as opposed to barren areas (mountains, jungles, hills, desert, water). This is why irrigation (and farming) is important during peace time, so you can maximize food harvesting, and thus encourage city-growth.

Also make sure that your citizens are working the fields (click on the Resource Map on the left). You can (for cities larger than 4) take people out from resource-gathering to make them Entertainers or Tax Collectors or Scientists, but they won't be collecting resources (food, shields, trade).

As you can see from the image, there is the Food / Surplus bar. I wrote "Consumed / Extra."
Each person in your city eats 2 food (each food is symbolized by a yellow bushel of wheat that looks like lower-case Greek Lambda) -- this city has 69 food; 50 going to people and 19 extra (surplus). Because 50 food are being eaten, we can see that there are 25 people in the city (without having to count the number of heads up top). Settlers and Engineers will also eat away at food, and you can get extra food from Trade goods -- but let's ignore that for now.

After every turn, all extra food goes into your storage on the far right. If you do not have a Granary, you must fill the entire food storage area before you get +1 person to your city. If you have a Granary, you only have to fill the bottom half. (Presuming nothing happens to the top half, like thieves or fires.) You probably know about Aqueducts (grow past 8) and Sewers (grow past 12) already.

One last note when it comes to food -- your government also determines how much food is produced around your city (as well as corruption that takes away from stuff). You can see the Civileopedia entries about Terrain to see how government affects each type of tile. (Corruption is... glossed over... in the game.)
---
-=PakoPako=-
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"
#3MonarchPaulos(Topic Creator)Posted 10/21/2012 11:33:26 PM
So what's the best government for getting more citizens? I let them eat like PIGS... luxury rate has been at 20 through 40% at times, and I give them entertainers...

In my case it took like 2,000 years for some of these cities to finally move, and only ONE city eventually ended up growing high, REAL HIGH, up to 15.
---
PSN: PaulosBlade, AIM: PaulostheSpy
http://www.youtube.com/user/PaulosTheGamer , I am Paulos Hunter Blade, owner of www.gamelegacies.com preserving legacies!
#4Pako PakoPosted 10/23/2012 2:22:33 PM(edited)
MonarchPaulos posted...
I let them eat like PIGS...

Are you sure about that? Look at the image again -- you have EXTRA food, right? If you have a city with less than 20 people and are making entertainers, that means these are citizens not getting resources from the field.
(Actually, can you upload a screenshot of your city that you're trying to grow?)

As for the best government for population expansion -- that would be Democracy/Republic, hands down. The "We Love <You>" days cause the city to gain +1 population the next turn. And a city will have such celebration when Happy People >= 50% of the city's total population (and there are no Unhappy people)... and you have at least 1 Extra Food.

This is a lot faster than waiting for the Stored Food to max out when your cities are 30+.
---
-=PakoPako=-
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"