C&C RA/Counterstrike/Aftermath

#1greybeardPosted 5/6/2011 3:19:58 AM
Sorry to post these very prosaic questions on this board but I'm a long time PS RA: Retaliation player and as the PC board is dead I know there are still be some PC C&C players here who might be able to help.

I'm a total PC and, obviously, PC gaming newbie but I finally have my first laptop, running WinXP, and enough grunt to run C&C RA. I had a few problems installing it and the two add-on packs (CS and AM = Retaliation) but with Win95 compatibility mode, a patch and the right video card settings I've got it running pretty well.

Just FYI the FMV looks horrible compared to PS Retaliation and as you have to run it at 640 x 480 it actually looks generally inferior simply because you sit much closer to the laptop screen than you would a TV.

I'm still a CRT TV user and the colour and contrast limitations of the laptop and the secondary larger LCD monitor I'm using are also glaringly obvious. I've had to ramp the game's inbuilt colour control to max to get something just about equal to get the same vibrancy as I do with my PS/CRT TV combination.

Anyway: main problem I have with the PC version is that when I click Quit to exit the game I get an error message box saying something like 'the action could not be carried out'. The cursor disappears and the only thing to do is press Esc. I do this and get back to the desktop but still in Win95 mode.

I have to restart to restore WinXP. Is this normal when using compatibility mode? If not is there some cure I can apply?

Secondly; I found a Red Alert web site with lots of extra user created maps and map packs. Downloaded some of the packs. Followed the instructions - unzipping them to C:\Westwood\RedAlert and.............they still don't appear in my Skirmish game map selection.

The map pack folders are in the right place so it occured to me tha maybe the instructions had omitted to say that the individiual maps had to be unpacked first? I didn't want to try that myself without getting advice first.

Thanks for any help.
#2Recoome_is_godPosted 5/6/2011 4:39:56 AM(edited)
Alright, let's see what we got here... I am assuming you're using the original CD's, and not TFD versions.

Crash problem:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JRI3XTV9

Throw these two DLL files in your RA directory, overwriting if asked, then disable all compatibility options on RA95.exe. You'll not only be able to play network games (if you can find anyone), but you'll also be free of that goddamn colour-mode that the native renderer forces the game into. Also, you'll be able to play in a window if you want.

Using maps:
Yes, you'll need to place these individually in your RA directory. Do NOT put them in any sub-directories; the game doesn't read these at all. Skirmish map files generally have the extension .mpr, so check this too.

FMV Quality:
There's a pack floating around on the net somewhere that includes better quality videos (along with the exclusive Retaliation videos), but I've never really looked into it.
---
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS - The Teddy Bears' Picnic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIgyt27oR8s
#3greybeard(Topic Creator)Posted 5/6/2011 5:15:06 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

I'm using the Sold Out version + original Counterstrike and Aftermath CDs.

Sounds very helpful on the graphics issue and I did as you suggested with the map packs and they are now appearing in my Skirmish game selection so thanks on that . Actually just been playing one before I posted this.

Yes, I knew about the Retaliation FMV already. You need an unofficial untested patch (3.03 I think it's called) to install it but the problem for me is that the download is 150+MB and as I'm on dial-up it would take 8hrs. So not really practical :-)
#4GunbladeladPosted 5/7/2011 5:37:52 AM
I've never come across these problems myself in XP (although I do admit the video quality is rather poor, and seems to have at least double the "scanlines" it should).

One thing I have been thinking of getting is the C&C : The first Decade pack, as it's going for just 10 in Gamestation. However, it would only give me something like 1 or 2 expansions I don't already have. It should, however, have all the official patches,
---
Where logic won't work - I will
PAL Gamers unite - http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/277-pal-gaming
#5Recoome_is_godPosted 5/7/2011 9:14:56 AM
It doesn't have all patches, as there was an official patch for TFD itself, and then a further third-party patch by Nyerguds (which EA gave the greenlight) to refine a few things here and there, and clear up some stupid number of MB from the RA directory.

Once the v1.03 patch for TFD is done though, you'll be laughing. Everything works perfectly for me.
---
The noblest of all dogs is the hot dog: it feeds the hand that bites it.
DOOMBEARS - The Teddy Bears' Picnic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIgyt27oR8s