Maybe it's just me...

#1rare_candyPosted 10/13/2012 11:28:24 AM
...but when you browse the psn library, doesn't it feel like every RPG for psone has been put up for download....

...EXCEPT THIS ONE!!!????!!!!!!!

>_<
---
Let's form VOLTRON! Activate interlock! Dynotherms connected! Infracells up! Mega thrusters are go!
Currently Playing: FFTA2, Phantasy Star Zero, FF3(psp)
#2more_cow_bellPosted 10/13/2012 4:37:42 PM
there still plenty more i would like to up there
---
18 days till Halloween Halloween Halloween 18 days till Halloween
Silver Shamrock
#3badboyPosted 10/13/2012 5:02:53 PM
Many RPGs are not available.
#4rare_candy(Topic Creator)Posted 10/13/2012 8:13:39 PM
yeah but many psone rpgs "of note" ?

I guess Suikoden 2 would be nice!
---
Let's form VOLTRON! Activate interlock! Dynotherms connected! Infracells up! Mega thrusters are go!
#5ignasia7Posted 10/14/2012 1:48:01 AM
Let's see, what RPG's are offered in North America:

Legend of Dragoon
Final Fantasy Origins (1+2)
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy V
Chrono Cross
Chrono Trigger
Parasite Eve 2
Breath of Fire 4
Threads of Fate (technically ARPG)
Legend of Mana
Parasite Eve
Vagrant Story
Xenogears
Saiyuki: Journey West (SRPG)
Romance of the Three Kingdoms IV (technically SRPG)
Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (technically)
Arc the Lad III
Front Mission 3
Arc Arena
Arc the Lad II
Arc the Lad
Alundra (technically ARPG)
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Wild ARMS 2
Final Fantasy VII
Grandia
Suikoden
Wild ARMS
Castlevania: SotN (Technically ARPG)

Breath of Fire 3 (PSN released as a stand-alone game not part of PS classics)
Star Ocean: The Second Story (PSP released)
Final Fantasy IV (PSP released)
Tactics Ogre (PSP released)
Final Fantasy Tactics (mentioned again due to PSP release)
Final Fantasy I + II (mentioned again due to PSP release)
Valkyrie Profile (PSP released)

So, let's see, what's missing:

Dragon Quest VII
Guardian's Crusade
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete
Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete
Suikoden 2
Brigandine
Beyond the Beyond
Hoshigami
Legend of Legaia
Koudelka
Jade Cocoon
Master of Monsters: Disciples of Gaia
Megaman Legends
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (upcoming release for PSP though...)
SaGa Frontier
SaGa Frontier 2
Shadow Madness
Sol Divide
Tales of Destiny
Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 in the US...why Namco, why?)
Thousand Arms
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts 2

I know there are some others, but I'm just grabbing from the games I own.

I'd say Tales is noticeably absent, and a major brand. Thousand Arms is a pretty stellar Atlas title. Of all the missing SRPG's, Vandal Hearts 1 and 2 is a damn shame, as they're two of the best, and I dare say they give Suikoden a run. Suikoden 2's absence is substantial considering it's poor sales are due only to limited print run (sold out in a week...why they failed to print more is a business decision that's cost gamers of one of the best stories in gaming history). SaGa Frontier isn't that popular, but it's a pretty solid set of games, with good storylines. Shadow Madness was very solid for one of Crave's first major releases. Lunar is another major shocker, perhaps more than the rest. Who even owns the rights now?
---
Campaign for PT in US: http://oprainfall.blogspot.com/ ==> Two down, one to go.
PSO2 = Sexy Awesome Beast of a Game!
#6rare_candy(Topic Creator)Posted 10/22/2012 10:06:59 PM
wow! Ok I stand corrected!
Firstly, thanks for putting that big ass list together! Seeing some of those forgotten titles have brought a few memories back! (I miss those days of gaming!)

Second, yeah games like Vandal Hearts and Thousand Arms would be sweet-beyond-sweet on psp!!!!! I never got to play TArms!

Third, while a very very easy version of Lunar did come out on psp, I would really really like to see Lunar:EB come out! It'll never happen with all the licensing politics but 'dare to dream'!

Fourth, I still maintain that DQ7 shouldve been out ages ago. There shouldnt be licensing issues with that game and while Im no Geordi LaForge of electronics, I think the psp should be able to handle it. So Im not sure what SquEnixs holdup is! Maybe theyre waiting for all us fans to get TOO old to be interested then theyll never have to make it! ;)
---
#7ignasia7Posted 10/22/2012 10:25:50 PM
It's not licensing issues. It has to do with ownership. DQ is not owned by any one group; Enix, now SE owns Publishing copyright, Horii, through Armor Project, owns Scenario rights (I do not know if Horii owns the actual brand name, or if SE does, as publishing does not guarantee this), Sugiyama owns the music through his own studio under his actual name, and Toriyama owns the art through Bird Studio, and finally, the actual game engine is always owned by the company hired to design it (this is why we never saw DQ4 PSX in the West, as copyright law and demands for extra payment from Heartbeat, the game engine owner, for any sale in the US). It's this split between various parties that complicates matters, as everyone must agree. The sole exception to this might be DQX, as SE is developing as well as publishing, though Horii, Tori, and Sugi likely still have copyright over their respective work.

One thing that has come up several times in interviews, is that Horii is against ports. He likes remaking a game, even if that remake looks, feels, and plays much or exactly like the original, with few additions. However, we have DQ 1-3 on the Wii, and all three are the first ports of the NES and SNES versions. So who knows, maybe things have changed, but I expect the next release of DQ7 to be a full-on remake, especially given the significance of the title (first one to beat DQ3 in overall sales). Plus, DQ7 is the next on the list for a remake, and like the bionic man, they can rebuild it, they have the technology!

You can put DQ7 on the PSP, if you have a generation 1 or 2 PS3. The hardware and software backwards compatible PS3's that is. At the time Sony wrote a software package where you can connect PSP to PS3 and upload PSX games onto the PSP. Every version of the PSP comes with a complete PSX emulator. However I don't know if this is possible with the two early model PS3's and the PSP Go and PSP generation 3. I do know though, that through certain other methods that allow manual porting of PSX game to the PSP without use of a PS3, all versions of the PSP will run DQ7 on it's own natural emulator; the very one that runs existing PSX titles.

So it isn't like you cannot put DQ7 on your PSP legally, though for most people, the unspoken method (of which is illegal, though actually using it to put DQ7 on the PSP is NOT illegal, but given the starting point is, it cannot be discussed in any fashion beyond how I've described it...and I'm already straddling the TOU).
---
#8GwelenguchenkusPosted 11/8/2012 9:31:48 AM
It's pretty easy for anyone to get any PSX game on their PSP these days with no risk whatsoever. You just have to know what you're doing.

Lunar/Lunar 2 are very special games to me, and they're probably the ones I'd most like to see on the PSN besides Suikoden 2 (even though I already own them all, legally /shrug).

I wish one of the online stores would include the rarest and one of the most highly praised RPGs few people know about - Panzer Dragoon Saga. From what I know it suffered a similar fate to Suikoden 2, but it was on Sega Saturn and had an even *smaller* number of copies sold. I've still never played it - I've only heard stories of its greatness.
---
Go forth, and do weird and difficult things!
#9ignasia7Posted 11/8/2012 9:55:29 AM
Only 60k copies were ever printed, and they all sold out. Sega blundered it. I don't recall why they printed so few, or why they never worked out more sales considering how unbelievably popular Panzer Dragoon is, but RPG's had not done so hot in the early days of the Saturn.

It's also like the Phantasy Star remakes. The original PS2 did pretty well in the US, but since Sega has become exclusively a Japanese company, they've been very reluctant to send us games, or even attempt to push games. Look at Skies of Arcadia Legends. Almost no one knew about that enhanced port. Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe being the only games they've ever bothered to really push in the RPG genre in the US.

Suikoden 2 is another shocking scenario. Another very popular game that sold out, but because Suikoden 1 sold like ass, they released 2 in limited supply. Then when 2 sold out they thought 3 would do well, and kept printing when 3 proved to do well. Yet we've never seen any remake or rerelease of 2, or even a 1+2 compilation.

I've had the privilege of playing PDS, as a friend owned one. Paid like 160 back in 1999, but well worth it (pristine condition).

If we're going to talk about games from multiple consoles that haven't seen any love:

Vay (SegaCD)
Shinning: The Holy Ark (Saturn)

Uh...that's all I can think of off-hand. I know there's a lot more.
---
#10VeghEstherPosted 11/8/2012 4:55:02 PM
As for eternia sure it was never released in North America for the PSP BUT the European import version is in english but its just a port on the PS1 game anyways.