How does anyone like this translation?

#1TastyKittyMMMMPosted 11/6/2012 1:59:41 AM
The dialogue is dull and in some places unrealistic. A kid isn't going to say the word "impotent" or "aplomb"...there is one moment where Pepe's brother refers to him as "my brother" three times in as many sentences. There's no character to this. I know people love to complain about the new style of translation but its not that bad. Dragon Quest VI on DS toned things down consideably and yet had tons of charm that this translation is lacking. All I know is I can't wait for the 3DS version because they'll find a way to make this script less dry.
#2gamemaster712Posted 11/7/2012 10:10:31 AM
i never had a problem with this, but i love DQ7...so....
---
Lord of gaming!!! (probably)
#3GwelenguchenkusPosted 11/8/2012 8:48:35 AM
Hmm... I don't know, I still found the script in this game sad/funny/amusing and generally enjoyable. There's no doubt in my mind that the new writers are more talented and can make the script even better for this game. It will be interesting to see what they do to it - what accents they include, what town locations are going to become pun bastardizations. And I'll still enjoy it, albeit I'll be slightly bitter. The writers are more creative and more talented than they ever were before, but it doesn't mean I like their stylistic choices.

Regardless, I agree it will be an improvement. But the dialog is, by a LONG SHOT, not my most pressing concern for the port/remake. My concern is immigrant town. Monster jobs. Hybrid skills. And tons of other weird and somewhat useless or unbalanced things. I hope it's not just a port, because even though this is one of my favorite games ever, it has some problems.
---
Go forth, and do weird and difficult things!
#4ZarethKnyghtPosted 11/14/2012 5:41:03 PM
I can see kids using words like impotent and aplomb in sentences. Especially if they're British. Kids love to mimic and with the availability of the internet, they can easily google what said words mean. While I doubt aplomb would be a hit, I can totally see impotent getting laughs ^^

I'll admit that the translation wasn't the best though. It felt rushed a bit.
#5Dan8888Posted 11/16/2012 6:10:34 PM
Honestly, I didn't have too many problems with the translation, although I'm sure the new team will put together something better.

I do wish they would go back to these spell/skill names though, as I prefer these over the ones from 8 onwards
---
Nobody goes to a movie on the first day, too many lines.-Cysti771
#6ryamisPosted 11/29/2012 1:28:57 PM
The new DS ones are the worst translations I have seen of anything ever. Literally unplayably bad for VI. I'll take the SNES version which still has control code in places any day.

Plus the 3DS version of this is going to have monsters on the map which is horrible game design meant to appease people who do not enjoy rpgs to begin with.
#7DDDDrovaPosted 12/3/2012 10:38:40 AM
your entitled to your opinion but i have to ask: you dont like the dialogue because its "unrealistic?"

were talking about a game with monsters, time travel, world shattering magic and a boy who has two sets of parents (among other things)

what about this game is realistic?
#8SquareFanaticPosted 12/12/2012 5:46:28 PM
Has anyone confirmed that the new DQVII will be released outside of Japan? I haven't heard anything on that front.
---
"You steal men's souls and make them your slaves!" "Perhaps the same could be said of all religions." -Castlevania: Symphony of the Night