Is this the culmination of JRPG's??

#1oldtablePosted 4/4/2013 12:13:43 AM
Is this the greatest RPG of all time?
#2Taishi Ci CCRPosted 4/4/2013 2:53:47 AM
Subjective...

You'll probably get a bias opinion here. Hell, ask the same question on the FFVII board. I, personally, have to say DWVII is my favorite RPG, yes. As for "best of all time"? That's all subjective. I like Chrono Trigger a great deal as well. I really didn't like FFVII... At all. >_> *Equip Flame Shield* I like FFX though! =) No, not FFX-2. -_-'

All in all, I'm glad I picked this up brand new in 2001 and had this epic experience. Not many people have played this. I cherish it.
---
Dave Mustaine for President.
Yes, Metal is fake.
#3Duke DarkwoodPosted 4/7/2013 2:31:48 PM
If it was, they would have stopped making games after it. There is ALWAYS something else to be tried, though, and I've been gaming long enough to know that you can NEVER just settle for saying "it peaked here (wherever "here" is) and is all downhill now". Anyone who believes that may as well give up gaming.

DW7's an awesome game - I liked it a lot, and am looking forward quite eagerly to the 3DS release - but I cannot even call it my favorite Dragon Quest/Warrior, much less Greatest RPG of All Time. (It's totally up there in the rankings, though.)

Many of my fondest RPG memories are from the PlayStation era, however. Not just DW7 itself, but a wide variety of games from across the board. Lunar and its sequel... Vagrant Story... Xenogears... Valkyrie Profile... Suikoden II... Grandia... Tales of Destiny (and of Eternia)... and yes, even the FFs. It was a golden age for the genre. And Dragon Warrrior VII was a part of that.... but, as I said, I can't call it the culmination of JRPGs. I can't even call it the best in its own series. Good as it was, I've played a LOT of RPGs.
---
"As the good archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself." -Danilo Thann
#4KamilPosted 4/11/2013 5:51:04 PM
This is one of my favorite Dragon Quests certainly. Been playing DQVI on the DS and it's not too shabby. but I generally prefer these older Dragon Warrior/Quest games. And when I say older I mean not remade easier. I'm in a place with Metal Slimes in VI and it hardly even matters when I get 500/600 exp a battle anyway. So if I kill a couple it's not as much of a thrill as it used to be when they didn't inflate the exp you gain from every battle in all the American remakes.

Often I'd rather play the Super Famicon remake of Dragon Quest III or the PS2 remake of Dragon Quest V than the GBC remake of DQIII or the remakes of IV and V for the DS. Now there's always the Shin Megami Tensei games and all the spinoffs that I just seem to look forward to more or find now.

Admittedly Dragon Quest IX is surprisingly good. I wish I had tried that one sooner maybe I should have been playing that instead of VI heh I dunno I liked VI pretty well at times on the DS but I guess I needed to just take a break from it.
---
slowbeef: Hold on it's the evil wizard who's spinning and striking a pose. And also giant swords, why the hell not.
Retsupurae on Earnest Evans, a wacky game!
#5ignasia7Posted 4/12/2013 8:03:45 PM
Pretty much everyone else summed it up. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

For myself, it is my favourite game of all time. That said, I wouldn't even rate it as anywhere near the highest in nearly every category. My main reason for loving it so much is...I find it to be infinitely fun, with a very solid, moving story with some surprising twists, and I love games with class systems and multiple paths. It's also less complex in it's approach to personalization of character growth, and there are a few spots that can offer some decent challenges. So for all it's many flaws and shortfalls, I find I enjoy my playthroughs more than with any other game I've ever played, and I enjoy it more each time I replay as I find greater appreciation for the many things it does so right.

Oh, one last thing, like most Dragon Quests, there's a tremendous focus on atmosphere, and maintaining the integrity of the game's feel throughout (something few series maintain so well...even Tales of Destiny has some tracks that just don't quite fit the moment and throw it off a little, and that is one of my favourite games ever). I like consistency in my gaming experience, and DQ provides that even in the more recent offerings.

To give an example of ratings difference. FF12, my second favourite game of all time, I give an overall rating of about 9 out of 10. I give DQ7 about a 7 out of 10 overall.
---
Looking forward to: Pandora's Tower (Spring), Dragon Quest VII (?), PSO2 (Winter/Spring)
#6KamilPosted 4/13/2013 5:52:19 PM
I was in a bad mood in my last post. Someone in my house was trying to bait me into an argument lol umm I don't really disagree with what I wrote, so I don't take it back either.

Good post, ignasia7, I read all of that.
---
slowbeef: Hold on it's the evil wizard who's spinning and striking a pose. And also giant swords, why the hell not.
#7ignasia7Posted 4/13/2013 8:57:39 PM
Ah...right on then!

Let's see, your position on the console versus handhelds. I can certainly understand your preference for the PS2 DQV over the DS, if only due to the challenge being near non-existent in the DS, even though party chat is a fantastic feature the overall feel of the PS2 game lends to a more enjoyable experience for me as well. Though I don't see why you favour the Dragon Quest III SFC release on similar merits. Both have the same Soguroku auto-level bug, both have the Thief class and the personality system. The enemies all have the same exact stats, all weapons and armour have the same stats, are dropped by the same monsters or found in the same chests. Bosses are all identical, including their respective battle patterns (as far as I know anyway). The only statistical advantage I can see between the two is with the Hero's level up gains being slightly more favourable in my GBC games (though the amount is well within the average stat range to say it's more likely luck). We do get that extra dungeon in the GBC, and a long extended extra play in attempting to open it, let alone complete it, on top on having arguably the hardest boss in DQ history (well, barring two skills, DQ7's is harder due to damage output and having more possible turns per round, and two, maybe three of DQ9's special bosses at level 99 are comparable).

I guess it's the atmosphere due to the graphical look and sound? I do know that for me I prefer the SFC, regardless that it lacks a second bonus dungeon and my favourite super boss, just due to those two things, though having slightly better fleshed out text helps (even if marsman's grammar isn't on par with the official GBC version, it's certainly college level and better than the vast majority of fan projects, minus Aeon Genesis releases). I would've preferred a black background with white text on the GBC version, but I guess that would take up more battery life? (anyone know why they picked black on white instead of old-school white on black?)
---
Looking forward to: Pandora's Tower (Spring), Dragon Quest VII (?), PSO2 (Winter/Spring)
#8KamilPosted 4/14/2013 8:12:49 AM
The music in the SFC version is better than the GBC version. I do think the core games though are similar enough. I may not have thought that one through as thoroughly. Too bad no one ever did finish (or barely even start) a translation for the Dragon Warrior/Quest IV for the PSX. That's the version I wanted to play back when I got Dragon Warrior VII. It was even advertised in the instruction manual! What a crushing loss to me that was.
---
#9_Izanagi_Posted 5/2/2013 6:08:56 AM
First person battles where you can't see your allies? Spells and attacks that don't work on a boss because they're deemed too powerful and useful? An inability to pick your target? Fighting like a cripple for the first 20-some% of the game because your abilities suck? No, this is not the greatest RPG of all time.

Don't get me wrong. This game is good. But it has far too many flaws to be considered a great game, let alone the best of all time.
---
"The Arcana is the means by which all is revealed."
#10KamilPosted 5/11/2013 3:23:31 PM
What you see as flaws I just consider a gameplay mechanic. Also the whole not seeing your allies while you fight is so irrelevant to me. I can't believe that bothers people, but I don't really want to vent really because you did say it was good at least anyway.
---
slowbeef: Is this supposed to make me afraid of Crystal Boy? Because his name is still Crystal Boy.
Retsupurae on Cobra, a space adventure of tattoos and feet.