Grass Fed Steak, Medium Well. No Nutrient-Free Fried Veghies Allowed...

#1behindthewordPosted 11/1/2013 9:43:56 AM
So in honour of Dragon Quest VII's eventual release, I've decided that two months prior I'm going to organize a group playthrough, and attempt to get as many hearty Dragon Quest VII fans to join in celebration for the 3DS game.

There are going to be several rules.

1) This playthrough will do one area every two days, so you have two days to complete a section. If you're behind schedule, that is ok, post progress until you catch up. No one, not even myself, is allowed to enter the next section of the game until the designated day, so if I finish Dharma and Krage is next, and Dharma was finished on the first of the two days given, I cannot enter the Krage map until those two days are up. I will plan a schedule for it once the official 3DS game is announced.

2) Each can limit their own playthrough however they want to, pick whatever classes they want to. Run it however you want to.

3) When the official playthrough thread is made, we can only post about the actual playthrough experiences to any level of detail we want to. Questions and answers over individual playthroughs are allowed.

4) No VeghEsther allowed. This includes that even should it post, no one is allowed to respond to it: see rule 3.

5) Any outside party wanting to post in this thread is to be discouraged from doing so unless they plan to join. I encourage enjoining in and playing along. Any post made by an outsider that breaks rule 3 will be treated like a Vegh post by all participants and ignored.

So who wants to join in when the time comes?
---
I prefer my Jedi as wise warriors and mystical wielders of the energies that created the universe as opposed to Light Saber performance artists.
#2behindtheword(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 5:43:47 PM
Hmm, so no one is interested?
---
I prefer my Jedi as wise warriors and mystical wielders of the energies that created the universe as opposed to Light Saber performance artists.
#3behindtheword(Topic Creator)Posted 11/2/2013 11:39:23 PM
Alright, I'll leave this up a bit longer, and repost it in the DQ7 forum to see if it will engender any responses.

If no one wants to join I'll skip it. No fun doing a board playthrough alone.
---
#4more_cow_bellPosted 11/3/2013 12:29:33 PM
if you want someones opinion, this "announcement" might be a little premature for anyone to show interest. It's been out since February and still not one peep of an English port. this is also a nice little article, it's a couple months old

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-new-dark-age-of-dragon-quest
---
Why do you waste my time?
Is the answer to the question on your mind
#5behindtheword(Topic Creator)Posted 11/3/2013 1:20:18 PM
more_cow_bell posted...
if you want someones opinion, this "announcement" might be a little premature for anyone to show interest. It's been out since February and still not one peep of an English port.

This is very likely true. Very few people feel comfortable with believing a game will come out without some direct official confirmation. Even Nintendo's most recent Tweet from Reggie doesn't outright state which Dragon Quest, but it does indicate a future release, and for all intents and purposes, given sales and demographics, DQ7's remake is the most likely release, next being DQX, then the remake of DQM2.

this is also a nice little article, it's a couple months old

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-new-dark-age-of-dragon-quest

The problem with that article is the writer is Jeremy Parish. That alone discredits it. I'll say that it's the first article where his usual obnoxious and pretentious nature isn't lavished over the article like bad perfume, but that's the only positive I can note.
---
#6unwashed_massesPosted 11/5/2013 6:40:11 PM(edited)
The fact is that DQX is an MMO, and the era of big MMOs is over. That ship has sailed. Enthusiasm was high because of WoW's success, but as we know with the numerous MMO failures over the past several years, it's not as hot as it used to be. The Wiii U is an abysmal failure in the US for many reasons, and that doesn't fare well for DQXs localization, either. DQ4-6s abysmal sales don't help motivate a port for a remake of DQ7.

I don't think SE is intentionally killing the brand. We're just in a bad time for RPGs in general. DQ7 for the 3DS is probably the most likely contender for a port, because it's pretty, and it's on a popular handheld. Not as popular as the DS was, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Wii U.

With that said, I don't buy the rumors about the port for the DQ7 remake for a second. There is no reason for me to believe it, and this isn't the first bullcrap rumor about a 'friend who is in the business' that I've heard. I've been around awhile, and I'm not that naive. It could still happen, but after seeing beloved series like Suikoden and Breath of Fire die (and many Tales games never making it over), I'm not holding my breath. Not that DQ will die - SE certainly has the resources to port one game every once I'm awhile - but outside of the non-MMOs in main series, it's anyone's guess whether or not it happens.

Excuse the weird typos, I'm typing on an iPod.
#7behindtheword(Topic Creator)Posted 11/5/2013 10:36:40 PM
unwashed_masses posted...
The fact is that DQX is an MMO, and the era of big MMOs is over. That ship has sailed. Enthusiasm was high because of WoW's success, but as we know with the numerous MMO failures over the past several years, it's not as hot as it used to be. The Wiii U is an abysmal failure in the US for many reasons, and that doesn't fare well for DQXs localization, either. DQ4-6s abysmal sales don't help motivate a port for a remake of DQ7.

I don't think SE is intentionally killing the brand. We're just in a bad time for RPGs in general. DQ7 for the 3DS is probably the most likely contender for a port, because it's pretty, and it's on a popular handheld. Not as popular as the DS was, but it's a hell of a lot better than the Wii U.

With that said, I don't buy the rumors about the port for the DQ7 remake for a second. There is no reason for me to believe it, and this isn't the first bullcrap rumor about a 'friend who is in the business' that I've heard. I've been around awhile, and I'm not that naive. It could still happen, but after seeing beloved series like Suikoden and Breath of Fire die (and many Tales games never making it over), I'm not holding my breath. Not that DQ will die - SE certainly has the resources to port one game every once I'm awhile - but outside of the non-MMOs in main series, it's anyone's guess whether or not it happens.

Excuse the weird typos, I'm typing on an iPod.

No problem on the typos. It's understandable, and there are often typos even when writing on a standard computer keyboard ;). I wouldn't have been able to tell had you not stated iPod.

There's a few things. I realize you used the term port when you meant localization ;).

Comparing the scenario of Dragon Quest to Suikoden and Breath of Fire doesn't fit, at all...

I can't convince you that the people at the GAF who have inside sources are good, and I don't feel like spending the time to show the track record of just one of them. That's beside the point, since in the end it really doesn't matter as even reputable sources like EGM have made up bs.

Nor can I convince you that Reggie's tweet means Nintendo is absolutely, definitely, without any shadow of a doubt working on a DQ release because nothing coming out of the President of a major corporation is unplanned, especially one that keeps such a tight grip on information leaks to major press: https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/statuses/394960805461897216

One can only convince themselves. I'll say this though, in 6 months we'll see and I'm sure you'll be eating your own words with tears streaming down your face. Tears of happiness of course.

That said, it's a travesty what Capcom did with BoF slapping the name and using the number 6 instead of the roman numerals, on a mobile/browser app based MMO.
---
#8TigerWolfPosted 11/6/2013 8:13:00 PM
I'm in the process of a playthrough of the PSX version right now. I'm not sure if I'll be buying the 3DS version, because only my bf has a 3DS in the home. The rest of us are just using DSLite.
I'm currently working on flushing out my team's jobs right now. Have most of the human jobs mastered with Maribel, Gabo and Hero... it will take a long time to catch Aira and Melvin up, though. Going to try to master the monster jobs as well, but hunting hearts won't be something I do until after my surgery, when I'll be laying around for two weeks anyway.

I'd totally join just because of Rule 4, though!
---
Do you want ANTS? Because THAT'S how you get ants!
#9VeghEstherPosted 11/6/2013 10:24:35 PM
Monster hearts besides the 6 free ones to make Gabo become the Rosevine for Mega Magic is good enough I didn't bother to farm any more mostly because I could never win lucky panel in the first place and never had Thief hit steal anything.

That and with all human jobs mastered on all 5 party members ASAP you really won't need the monster class skills anyways.
#10unwashed_massesPosted 11/6/2013 11:15:08 PM
Well if there's one good thing to say about Vegh it's that he keeps this forum active by making half the posts.