Fantasy-based solo Fallout clone?

#1ChaunceyKPosted 5/3/2010 10:08:39 AM
I bought Fallout from GOG.com about a year ago, and I've played through it 3 times now, each time with a different style of character. I love how I can customize my character & not be forced to play "the 100% pure & good hero"...and still finish the game! Plus, I'm old-fashioned, I like my RPG's to be turn-based...no wiggle room on that.

So does anyone know of a fantasy-based game like Fallout? Dwarves, Elves, Orcs, Goblins, swords & sorcery and the like? I played & enjoyed the Might & Magic series (up until they went to real-time combat), but honestly, I prefer the Fallout style of combat where you can actually maneuver your character around the scenery.

Thank you!

Chauncey :-)

---
J.R. 3:16 says:
"I just slobbered on your knockers!"
#2red255Posted 5/3/2010 11:55:55 AM
...?

Baldurs gate? and the like?

Neverwinter nights?

I'm confused, I'm rather certain you've heard of these series. wouldn't especially call them Fallout clones in any respect, but interplay made Baldur's gate.

Developed under Bioware, and then Bioware made Neverwinter nights with Atari...

they are sorta cousins I think.
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#3ChaunceyK(Topic Creator)Posted 5/3/2010 12:07:49 PM
I'm not an "uber-gamer"...those days are far, far behind me in the 80's & early 90's. These days, I just find a new game to play when I'm in the mood to game. Fallout was the first major game I played in many, many years.

I've heard of Baldur's Gate but I didn't know it was a similar engine as Fallout. I shall check it out, indeed.

Thanks!

Chauncey
---
J.R. 3:16 says:
"I just slobbered on your knockers!"
#4jletterPosted 5/4/2010 9:49:03 AM
Yeah, it's not a "clone" of it in any regard, but Baldur's Gate is the closest I can come up with too.

Oh goodness red, first you get Space Age Samurai agreeing with you, now me. You're brainwashing us all.
---
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite board on GameFAQs.
#5endless7Posted 5/4/2010 7:29:52 PM
Arcanum.

It's more steampunk than traditional fantasy, but it's got the typical fantasy races, magic and monsters. It was made by most of the people who created Fallout, after they left Interplay. From a gameplay standpoint, you won't find a game closer to Fallout other than Fallout 2.
---
"It is better to be hated for what you are, than to be loved for what you are not."--Andre Gide
#6jletterPosted 5/5/2010 8:00:51 AM
Yeah, but Arcanum's just got so many bugs.
---
I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite board on GameFAQs.
#7corpse_rotPosted 5/6/2010 9:13:22 PM
best fantasy turn-based game of all time = Temple of Elemental Evil

Arcanum has a great story and some good role playing but the combat's broken
#8corpse_rotPosted 5/6/2010 9:15:25 PM
chaunceyk
I've heard of Baldur's Gate but I didn't know it was a similar engine as Fallout. I shall check it out, indeed.

Baldur's Gate aint got similar combat at all dont listen to these fools.

its real-time hack job calling itself turn-based, not turn-based like Fallout
#9red255Posted 5/7/2010 1:33:31 AM
corpse did you come here to troll for a reason, or because nobody likes you?
---
If the next one is called, because of his MO, the underwear bomber, you'll know I'm on to something. Calvin Trillin June 16, 2006.
#10SzadouPosted 5/13/2010 2:11:41 AM
Yeah, but Arcanum's just got so many bugs.

It also has an unofficial patch that fixes most of them.
---
God's angels have no grace...